Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal.
Kaizy Offline

Threads: 0
RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal.

(04-10-2012, 08:17 AM)chairmodeactivated Wrote:
(02-02-2012, 01:43 AM)MrTerribleNightmares Wrote:
Title says it all. I am sick of jump scare maps, it is just not scary anymore. If anyone has a good map WITH NO JUMP SCARES please send it my way, i am bored and have nothing to do.
no its fun to se that PewDiePie get scared as hell if you dont like jump scare map then dont try nintendo hunted house lol
Of course, trying to justify jumpscares as being good because they make PewDiePie's videos not boring. Being good enough for PewDiePie to play doesn't qualify it as good.

I love PDP as much as the next guy, but playing most of these maps is just a horribly boring experience because almost all the jumpscares are horribly executed and it's the only thing new mappers will fall on. The reason they're falling back on them is because of PDP's videos, as well as other LPer's on Youtube. Most of these new mappers see PDP playing these jumpscare maps, giving them free advertisement, and they see jumpscares as something thats fun and entertaining to a wide audience of people, figuring it's the norm for these custom stories. They fill their maps with all these cheap scares, callouts to PDP and hope that he plays their maps and gives them popularity.

The real problem isn't so much the jumpscares, but the fact that people see all these custom stories being played that are full of jumpscares and getting the impression that jumpscares are what making stories is all about, when, in reality, it's the opposite. The community wants to see a surplus of atmospheric maps with good subtle scares, a well designed map, and engaging story; but sadly, we're getting the opposite. Every PDP fan just derps around in the mapmaker, riddles it with things they think people like PDP would get scared by, and then plasters it on the forum waiting for fame that's never coming. I mean I've read some of these threads with new stories...they're plethoras of jumpscares, some filled with PDP content, and these mappers are saying that "it's their first one" and they made it in about a week. I don't care how new you are to modding, spending a week on anything major means it's probably going to play/look like crap, and usually that's the case.

I have no idea how to resolve bad mapmaking, but the root is definitely the growing popularity of playing jumpscare maps on Youtube. It's not just about PDP growing his popularity, it's everyone wanting that popularity themselves and thus imitating an easy-to-do scare tactic multiple times to fill their 10 minute story that they made in a few hours with lackluster substance, instead of trying to build a good story/atmosphere/map/ect.

I play Amnesia Custom Stories a couple times a week on Livestream
Its great fun
http://www.livestream.com/kaizy
Steam account: Krazyw0lfie
04-11-2012, 02:55 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal. - by Kaizy - 04-11-2012, 02:55 AM