Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
extra_english.lang file not working
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: extra_english.lang file not working

(05-30-2012, 05:03 PM)Your Computer Wrote:
(05-30-2012, 04:17 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: UTF-8 doesn't contain Å. What you're actually showing there is a bug in Geany that lets you write Å in the editor at all. The Amnesia interpreter will then interpret your script as UTF-16.

As far as i know, Å is part of Latin-1, and UTF-8 supports Latin-1. AngelScript will default to UTF-8 unless otherwise specified to do so. Since i don't have access to the Amnesia source code, i can only assume Amnesia will run my script through UTF-8. I would be interested in your source that proves the game is told to use UTF-16 instead of UTF-8 so that i can feel confident in stating that Amnesia interprets my scripts as UTF-16 if in fact true.

As for Geany allowing you to type these characters in regardless of the current encoding of the file, Scintilla and GTK both support UTF-8 for their UI and GTK defaults to UTF-8. I do not know if the UI disregarding the encoding of the current file is considered a bug by the developers of Geany, but i would expect it to be a lot easier to handle it outside the UI. I've dealt with GTK before, and it is not something i wish to dabble in ever again.

Of course, i should mention that just because it doesn't show up in game doesn't necessarily mean the character is not supported by the game, especially if we're dealing with FNT files.
I'm unclear as to what the game can display now, because it can display most (not all) Unicode 1.0 characters, and some (not all) Unicode 1.1 characters, and an unknown amount of 2 byte UTF-8 characters. At least I know that it can display "Å" under the right conditions. It's all very fuzzy.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

05-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: extra_english.lang file not working - by Cranky Old Man - 05-30-2012, 07:59 PM