The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Creating a good custom story
MaZiCUT Offline

Threads: 31
Creating a good custom story

So you want to create a great enviroment and a detailed atmosphere you say?

Well search no further, because this thread is soppoused to help you with that.

1. Sound

Fitting music for your theme is important.

Are you going to make sound effects that should scare the player for example when the player goes down some stairs? Always go over the sound effects and choose the best one.

Are you having water drops and wind blowing? You should really add sound for that to give it a better feel.

So you can't find a sound or music from the original game files that fits your needs? There is always websites like http://www.freesound.org on the internet that could help you, if that doesen't help then Google is your friend.

2. Sense

Now this is important, everything you do, every detail you create has to make sense, for example why is there books laying around in a mess on the floor? Maybe someone was fleeing in a hurry?

For example this over-used teleporting asshole guy, If you're going to use him then would that make sense?
I guess it would if you made a story behind it but usually you should avoid scares like that, make logical scares.

For example the castle you are in is haunted, so you most likely know there's a monster, doors shutting behind you would make sense if he shaked up the castle with his loud ROARRWRS.

3. Lighting

Having great lightning is always important, but in the theme of Amnesia having light everywhere wouldn't add up to a great atmosphere. But don't take this seriously, this can differ from what story you make, my custom story for example will have lots of lightning because it's on a fancy 1890s ship (okay i shouldn't spoil to much now).

Add detail to lightning, is the lightning behind a door? is it a spotlight, if it is then you should use a proper texture as if it was shining through.

4. Atmosphere

The absolutely most important, it isn't that scary being in an atmosphere where there is ponies.. don't get me started on that.

Billboards could add on to your enviroment pretty great, but don't over-use them in the wrong place.

Particles is another important thing, are you in a dusty old room? Why not add some dust particles flying around like crazies, depending on how much dusty you want the room to be.

5. Story

You always need to have a great and logical story for your custom story right? Well it is recommended that you spend some time off the computer and write down a great story on a paper to go from, trust me it will be much easier to work this way!

No less than that, blue prints on paper of rooms are great and easy to work from too.

6. Scary stuff

Are you going to make the player venture into a dark room, and you want him to be scared?

Add details, make it so that the player uses his imagination what could be behind that door, add blood!

Make the player want to feel the refuse of not wanting to go into that room, not knowing what could be behind that one door.

7. Grammar
Having grammar could be important in mementos, journals and so forth, Bad grammar could ruin the atmosphere and the feel, for example:

1856 Five augyst

today i saw a naked guy on my corridor, he scary! i should be carfull!!!!

Remember to go over spelling once in a while to avoid mistakes.

And the last thing:

Be original.

This thread will be updated from time to time, i hope a moderator would sticky this or something like that Smile

Hi.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2012, 09:44 PM by MaZiCUT.)
06-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Website Find

Messages In This Thread
Creating a good custom story - by MaZiCUT - 06-22-2012, 12:45 PM
RE: Creating a good custom story - by Adny - 06-22-2012, 01:33 PM
RE: Creating a good custom story - by Rokotain - 06-22-2012, 01:04 PM
RE: Creating a good custom story - by MaZiCUT - 06-22-2012, 03:10 PM
RE: Creating a good custom story - by MaZiCUT - 06-23-2012, 10:32 AM
RE: Creating a good custom story - by LulleBulle - 06-23-2012, 02:44 PM
RE: Creating a good custom story - by MaZiCUT - 06-23-2012, 05:31 PM
RE: Creating a good custom story - by MaZiCUT - 06-23-2012, 07:22 PM
RE: Creating a good custom story - by Acies - 06-24-2012, 03:35 AM