Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small questions in development
Cheynise Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Small questions in development

(08-07-2012, 07:01 PM)palistov Wrote: There's plenty of cool things you can do with HPL2, but it's not anywhere near as flexible as those engines you've mentioned. The development pipeline for HPL2 is much more constricted than in those engines. We don't have access to source, and a lot of the gameplay elements like AI and entity types are hard-coded into the application.

Anything you want to do you've gotta do with level-based scripts. We don't even get global scripts Sad Also, the language used for scripting is Angelcode. It's very similar to C++ but they have some differences.

As for 3D modelling programs, lots of people use Maya and 3DS Max as well. Exporting can be a pain but I believe you want the openCOLLADA plug-in, not the Autodesk Collada one. Don't take my word for it though, I can't model for @(&$.
Hm, ok, this gives me a better idea. And I understand. The engines I mentioned are indeed more flexible (but then again, engines we create are about as flexible as HLP2) and in every way, I don't expect a miracle out of the engine. We'd probably have to read finely and closely throughout the documentations and tutorials to understand (and the project...give bout 5 months or so till we can be used to the engine)

As for Angelcode, hm. I am not sure if the programmer guys know this code. Technically, the code I've learnt in my course is only flash (game designers learn this in my uni) while the programmers...um, I guess I'll have to find out from my friends when I get the group together next sem.

Hm, noted on the plugin. I'm happy to hear 3Dsmax can be used because true be told...I'll never know how to use blender (too different! Too different!!!).

And hey, I'd say you need practice in modelling. No such thing as bad modelling. Take my word for it. Depending on the program you're using, modelling can be done easily (You'd be surprised if I told you how my lecturer taught me on doing rock meshes).

Oh the bright side, at least you don't have to model a whole landscape with trees, plants and extra stuff like a graveyard and import allll that into UDK for an assignment due next week.

Take my place...pleeeeeease....
08-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Small questions in development - by Cheynise - 08-07-2012, 06:49 PM
RE: Small questions in development - by palistov - 08-07-2012, 07:01 PM
RE: Small questions in development - by Cheynise - 08-07-2012, 07:16 PM
RE: Small questions in development - by palistov - 08-07-2012, 07:25 PM
RE: Small questions in development - by Cheynise - 08-07-2012, 07:34 PM
RE: Small questions in development - by Omyn - 08-08-2012, 01:58 AM