Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Björn Pankratz (game developer) playing guitar with his wife.
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Björn Pankratz (game developer) playing guitar with his wife.

(08-08-2012, 09:42 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Yeah, Gothic is better than Risen.
But Risen was not buggy at all. Gothic is more buggy, but it is by far the better game.
You also need to know, this developer doesn't make games for american market. This are german games and they don't want to dump it down just because the americans would like that. Risen is a bit more casual than Gothic, but even a good game.

The graphics in Amnesia are also dated for a game from 2010. And as the dark side already said, it is totally irrelevant.
The devs also wanted an old-school style. This is a reason for the animations. They wanted!
It is not because they are not competant enough to make ultra real animations, it's their special style and people really like that.

But yeah, Risen is not so good as Gothic. Gothic was made more for a special niche.

(08-08-2012, 09:38 PM)HateSolstice Wrote: How can anyone stand those shitty Gothic games? Ugh, the first one was bad enough that I wanted to kill puppies and actually eat authentic Asian food.
I already told you, it's NOT a game for american casuals.

This is why you don't like it. It's just made for a small group of decent people who understand art in games.
I do in no way consider myself a casual gamer, nor am I american.

I've been playing games since I was about 2 years old and I'm currently attending a school for games development, well I'm starting in september anyway.

There is nothing I love more than brilliant story telling in games, however playing an RPG where the camera has to change position every single time a character finishes a sentince, the AI is not clever is enough to walk in a straight line when it needs to and the combat and questing system acts like an MMO from eight years back there is seriously something wrong with the game. The animations were choppy as hell which wouldn't be a problem for me if it wasn't for the fact that the characters flail their arms around constantly when they speak as if they're trying to use sign language, however the lips? They don't move at all, arms are better for speaking after all.

I played for a little more than half an hour of the game, if you check part 2 of my let's play ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcvGzgpp...ature=plcp ) you'll see the game gets no better further on, it's a terribly slow burner and all I did during that half an hour of gameplay was run back and forth talking to people trying to follow a storyline which is barely event existant, I mean COME ON they don't even let you know what your characters name is!

I'm a graphics whore, they're important to me, I do 3D modeling myself so it's something I'm very passionate about.

HOWEVER, when I say that graphics are bad, I don't mean ''OMG NOT ENUFF POLYGONS'' I will be refering to the way the engine renders objects and how well the arts style works. My favourite game of all time is Final Fantasy VII, I think that game looks amazing, it has an artstyle that works.

[Image: 2182492-150px_cloud_strife_field_model.jpg]

^ I would choose THIS, anyday over the picture below.

[Image: herpl.jpg]

Is it just me who find these ''hardcore'' gamers that believe themselves know stuff about how the gaming world actually works annoying? I've been spotting them all over the internet over the last five years and 80 % of the times these people have no idea what something alike a texture, or a rendering feature such as anti-aliasing is.

if you ask me, ''hardcore'' gamers, are the ones developers and people whom enjoy games should listen the least to.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2012, 10:23 PM by Traggey.)
08-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Björn Pankratz (game developer) playing guitar with his wife. - by Traggey - 08-08-2012, 10:18 PM