Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Deus Ex
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Deus Ex

My Personal Thaughts are that, Deus Ex 1 is the best, as it is pretty much what i consider a "perfect" game, by combining Superb Storytelling, Mind Blowing Graphics for its time, and most importantly for me, Superb Gameplay.

For me, Deus Ex 1 comes in at Number 2 on my top three PC games of all time, (off topic: 1=Half Life (original), 2.=Deus Ex 1, 3=The Operative: No One Lives Forever, on my personal list, that is some seriously big calibre company!). Deus Ex 1 is for me, a game that shows were i think the First person Shooter Should have gone, Combining the sort of gunplay and challenge that makes games like DOOM, Quake, and Serious Sam Great, adding in stealth elements of such perfection that even Hideo Kojima probably goes green with envy at them, mixes in the Freedom of games like Grand Theft Auto, thanks to some very large free roaming hubs and exquiste open plan levels, and then drops in a hefty slug of RPG. what "totalhalibut" Describes as "a thinking mans shooter" (off topic: mentioned in his "WTF IS..." review of "Serious Sam 3" (wich he gave a deserving 9) on "the cynical brit", him and totalBiscuit are ace!.)

on the small matter of Invisible war vs Human Revolution, i, and im the odd one out, actually prefer invisible war. due to the fact it retained a very old school First Person shooter experience with medpacks, unlimited armouries, Zoom Aim, fixed hairs, Etc, wich is what i prefer personally (i personally find the COD like gameplay in Human Revolution to be "UNPLAYABLE"!) . in terms of storyline, it is very poor, short and cliched, and due to its streamlined design, it is very poor as a Deus EX game, but, on its own merits, as a First Person Shooter, its a really fun and enjoyable "run and gun" game. not a "thinking mans shooter" like the original but still a good fun shooter all the same.

Human Revolution is not the sort of game i enjoy, as its too like call of duty in terms of its gameplay for my tastes (Regen health, 2 gun limit, expanding crosshairs (wich are the main issue because they make me nauseus!), controll hints, Quick time Events, Aim Down Sites, Corridor like level design (ok, so its rather open plan compared to most modern shooters, but it still boils dowwn to 5 or 6 corridors tied together round a few central arenas, think the "Facility" level in Goldeneye 64, open plan to me is a massive wide open arena with buildings in it, think Serious Sam) "bloody Screen" effect, all the gameplay elements i personally find to be game ruiners!), and "call of duty" is a style of gameplay i personally cannot stand, so, despite the fact Human Revolution has a pretty decent storyline from what i have seen in reviews (miles better than the almost B movie Invisible war, but still a stinker compared to the original) it is far too typical of a modern "hand holding" COD-Clone in terms of its gameplay to deserve the Deus Ex name in my eyes.

for me Deus Ex 1 is a true legend, one of the best games ever made, and one i will probably still be playing on a holographic rendition of an old "computer" on "the holodeck" when i go to the old folks home many years from now, but for me, the franchise ended with Deus Ex 1, as for me, neither of its sequals have deserved the name in my opinion.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 08:47 PM by the dark side.)
08-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Deus Ex - by spukrian - 08-10-2012, 07:01 PM
RE: Deus Ex - by JMFStorm - 08-10-2012, 07:04 PM
RE: Deus Ex - by Adny - 08-10-2012, 07:12 PM
RE: Deus Ex - by the dark side - 08-10-2012, 07:19 PM
RE: Deus Ex - by Bridge - 08-10-2012, 09:18 PM
RE: Deus Ex - by spukrian - 08-11-2012, 10:56 AM
RE: Deus Ex - by Bridge - 08-11-2012, 10:38 PM
RE: Deus Ex - by spukrian - 08-12-2012, 09:49 AM
RE: Deus Ex - by the dark side - 08-27-2012, 08:07 PM