Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Which Lovecraftian Monster(s) would you like to see in a game by FG?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shoggoth
14.63%
6 14.63%
Elder Thing
12.20%
5 12.20%
Flying Polyp
7.32%
3 7.32%
Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath
9.76%
4 9.76%
Shub-Niggurath
2.44%
1 2.44%
Deep One
17.07%
7 17.07%
Star Spawn of Cthulhu
4.88%
2 4.88%
Cthulhu
12.20%
5 12.20%
Chthonian
7.32%
3 7.32%
Mi-Go
12.20%
5 12.20%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What Lovecraftian Monter(s) would you like to see in a future game?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: What Lovecraftian Monter(s) would you like to see in a future game?

I'd imagine a shoggoth could be like a huge thing that slowly oozes through the level. So it wouldn't be an adrenaline-filled chase sequence but rather this threat that's not as immediate as a brute chasing you, but makes sure to keep you on your toes. Like water thats slowly rising in a level, but less predictable, y' know? Dunno, it might work.

You could also pull a "War of the Worlds" type of scene, where several tentacles are probing around in a room, searching for you...
Or you could have the shoggoth hang around in the levels pipe or ventilation system, so you have to listen carefully for the noise it makes when it moves around and be very quiet yourself, or it might stick it's tentacles out of a hatch to grab you Wink

It could also serve a more passive role, like a natural level barrier. Let's say the story takes place on a ship - well you'd need a reason why you're not simply escaping over the water in a lifeboat, right? Big Grin

But yeah, I think it would be pretty hard to properly integrate a shoggoth in a way that makes sense, compared to more "normal" enemies. It would maybe best be used as a more subtle "background threat" I feel...your main problem are the smaller enemies but you also have to be careful not to wake up the huge, slow beast thats sleeping somewhere below you. ^^
08-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Lovecraftian Monter(s) would you like to see in a future game? - by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 08-22-2012, 05:06 PM