Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Watching: My first custom story
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6
RE: It's Watching: My first custom story

(04-13-2013, 01:00 AM)FortiPlex Wrote: Hello everyone Tongue A few days ago, I started getting into the whole 'custom story' thing for Amnesia. And after watching some gameplay of a bunch of stories, I thought to myself; why does there have to be a story involved?

My goal is to make a CS in which the player will have to find a key to open a door to the next map. Pretty much it. Except, getting that key or even finding it will be difficult. Adding to that, I plan on creating an atmosphere that is powerful enough to carry on this task. With the help of sound effects, detail, timed events, etc.

The question is, how long can you survive?

Pictures will be posted soon!

I think that's a fantastic idea - How many people have tried to create an engaging and terrifying experience without any specific plot/narrative before? Not many, so you should totally do it. Experimentation is so much more exciting than more of the same, even if it turns out to be a complete failure, and modding is the perfect ground for it because it's pretty much zero-risk so you don't really need to care about people liking it - any good or bad opinion is productive.

I think the fact that some people react negatively to the idea is a good sign that it's worth trying, as counter-intuitive as that sounds - it shows that it is assumed that plot would be important to the fear, since horror games often put a lot of emphasis on a strong narrative. We need examples that go the other way.

So make it, then we can all benefit from the experience of seeing whether that can work or not. Maybe it'll suck, maybe that approach can't work, but we're not gonna know til it's been tried right?

04-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: It's Watching: My first custom story - by Adrianis - 04-15-2013, 12:49 PM