Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Science on video games
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Science on video games

(05-14-2013, 07:19 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(05-14-2013, 07:14 PM)Bridge Wrote: They are as important as you make them. I do not think these things are useful on their own; they are merely tools (if abstract ideas can be considered tools) to help you realize your ideas. Sorry, but I really don't think this is a worthwhile discussion. It'd be like asking: "how important is hydrogen in cooking?". The answer is "necessary" and nothing more because it is a useless and irrelevant question. All games use science, but that doesn't mean that many of them actually emphasize that fact. I place a higher emphasis on the aesthetics.

Why a higher emphasis on the aesthetics, if I may ask? I would consider aesthetics secondary in most genres and themes in gaming, as I feel that the gameplay must always come first, for the reason that would a game like Dishonored be as good if it had decided to polish its aesthetics moreso than the gameplay which defines the game very well?

Different schools of thought, but in general I don't appreciate purely practical concerns. I am fine with a game lacking in gameplay if all of the other elements (audio/music, visuals and story) are solid. In fact, a game with great gameplay and nothing else is just pointless IMO (unless it is intended purely for modding purposes). However, that's not to say bad controls are acceptable; there is only so much one can take, but I think it is a little less important than the aesthetics. It is of course all important though.

Speaking of Dishonored, I found it quite appealing aesthetically actually. Solid job in many respects - really the only thing lacking is the story (and perhaps level design).

(05-14-2013, 07:32 PM)BAndrew Wrote: @Bridge
Of course they are not useful on their own. They are as you said just tools which help. "How important is hydrogen to cooking" seems an interesting discussion to me. It hasn't any practical application on how you cook, but it is important. I disagree that such a discussion would be pointless. It's theoretical as you are never going to count how many atoms of hydrogen you are going to use, but that doesn't mean it has no point. It's more about how interested you are in making such a discussion. Most people would say "Who cares? I can cook and that's all that matters".

Actually I do apologize slightly, I did not mean to impugn your thoughts here. They certainly are interesting, I just do not see personally how the question you posed can be answered. I admit though that talking generally about the application of scientific concepts in games and how successful/authentic these applications have been would make for a good discussion.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2013, 07:46 PM by Bridge.)
05-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Science on video games - by BAndrew - 05-14-2013, 06:59 PM
RE: Science on video games - by Tomato Cat - 05-14-2013, 07:07 PM
RE: Science on video games - by BAndrew - 05-14-2013, 07:10 PM
RE: Science on video games - by Tomato Cat - 05-14-2013, 07:20 PM
RE: Science on video games - by Bridge - 05-14-2013, 07:14 PM
RE: Science on video games - by FlawlessHappiness - 05-14-2013, 07:15 PM
RE: Science on video games - by BAndrew - 05-14-2013, 07:32 PM
RE: Science on video games - by BAndrew - 05-14-2013, 08:03 PM
RE: Science on video games - by palistov - 05-14-2013, 08:17 PM