Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Fans Of HPL (the engine)
dragonmaster Offline

Threads: 17
RE: Fans Of HPL (the engine)

No way! The only soft shadowin i seen that actually looks good is in Unreal.
All other soft shadowin doesn't self shadow on an object, or project right like stencil shadowing.
Anyways all the soft shadowin i seen is Pixelated and Crappy and Bugged. Like in bioshock, The soft shadows go through the freakin floor!

What i would do is VRPBP shadowing, a modified stencil shadow. (stands for Vector Raycast Per Border Pixel shadow. It does a vector raycast for each border pixel in the shadow, or maybe each pixel, and it does a stencil for the projection, but the raycast gets the distance from where it hits the object to where the shadow is projected, and the longer the distance, the more of a "black glow" it does to that border pixel for a more realistic shadow spread and fade. Would take up tons of processing power, but it would be the most realistic shadow evah!)
it could work, its almost like raytracin though. Raytracin in penumbra, I like that idea!

I like horror games but not the ones that give u nightmares :P
But i like the ones that give you an urge to open every door and drawer that you see for a month :D
07-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Fans Of HPL (the engine) - by dragonmaster - 07-23-2008, 06:58 AM