Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Do you write the story or create the levels first?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Story
83.33%
5 83.33%
Levels
16.67%
1 16.67%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you write the story or create the levels first?
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26
RE: Do you write the story or create the levels first?

(07-28-2013, 01:20 PM)serbusfish Wrote: I start with a rough idea so I can properly figure out the setting, for example my new story is set in a mansion deep in a secluded forest, not a castle, so naturally I needed to figure this out before I could begin mapping, then as I start to build the levels I develop the story/ideas further.

I dont understand how you can start making maps with no story in place.

Since I'm pretty much the odd-man-out here, I'll give my point of view. When I'm working on a level, I want to create an interesting place to explore. My goal (One that I personally think I've failed but then again I'm my own biggest critic) is to create levels that are interesting to explore in and of themselves. Then, as I'm working on a storyline, I can say, "Ooh, this map would go nicely here."

I feel that if I 100% write out the story ahead of time, I end up limiting myself in that I can only build levels that fit the story, and if the story calls for something that I either can't do, or that the Amnesia engine isn't capable of doing (Let's face it, we love amnesia but the HPL engine is a special needs student at times) well there goes my story.

In addition, I feel that for the most part, building and scripting a map takes way longer than writing out the story. Starting my work on the map first, with a rough idea of the story I want to create, allows me to take my time with the story and allow it to develop more and more as I work on maps.

Don't get me wrong, I see what people are saying here, without a good story, you're just running through the same mansion chased by the same jawless idiot as every other CS. But I think working on the story throughout the mapping process allows you to tell a story that fits your map.

That went on way to long. Sorry.

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
07-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do you write the story or create the levels first? - by DeAngelo - 07-28-2013, 05:52 PM