Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How do you make textures look like the textures used in Amnesia?
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: How do you make textures look like the textures used in Amnesia?

@Juby - Explain some more, what you have said would probably confuse a newcomer a lot.

@X4anco - Like Juby said, you can make them in GIMP/Photoshop, but you will probably need special plugins to create them. (Or hand paint them, but I haven't tried either yet.)

(1) What 3D modeling software are you using (Blender/3DS Max/Maya/Other)? You can typically generate your own Normals in the program itself.

(2) You can create spec maps in GIMP/Photoshop.

(2a) I hope I'm not telling you the wrong thing (Sometimes they make my Model look funny, sometimes they turn out fine), but this is what I do...

(2b) Get the diffuse texture that you have made. De-saturate so it is B&W. (From GIMP, go the Menu>Colors>Hue-Saturation. Take the slider and pull it to the far left.)

(2c) Now we have to change the levels. (GIMP, Menu>Colors>Levels. Play with the 3 "Input Levels" triangles.)

(2d) From what I understand, white means how shiny it will be and black will have no shine. Grey in between is a mix (Darker = Less Shiny, Lighter = More Shiny). So you have to find a balance (I prefer to go with really shiny whites and really dark blacks) and tweak areas depending on how much you want them to shine.

(3) The Normals and Specs depending on your model can and cannot be that important, which sounds a bit stupid. But it really varies between each model.

What is important is the diffuse texture, it's the weakest link.

(3a) If your like me (A noob), you would use real life pictures and use that as a base texture.

As you watch more videos or other people doing it (And with self-taught practice, that is the most important thing!), you'll learn to start to tweaking pictures, taking others and meshing them together. And then lastly making your own textures.

So expect for awhile your models to look really bad.

(3b) You just have to have dedication to the work to improve, their is nothing else we can do to help except on technical issues like how to make Normal/Spec maps among other things.
07-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do you make textures look like the textures used in Amnesia? - by Rapture - 07-31-2013, 04:48 PM