Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Is it worth it lowring your standards to enjoy something more?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I place enjoying myself irrationally as being more important than being a critic.
38.46%
5 38.46%
No, a lackluster piece of work is a lackluster piece of work, and I refuse to adjust my standards for such a thing.
38.46%
5 38.46%
Other type of answer (State below)
23.08%
3 23.08%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What is the Point in having High Standards?
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: What is the Point in having High Standards?

(08-19-2013, 07:48 PM)Adrianis Wrote: EDIT: I also take issue with the phrasing of the first poll option, there's nothing irrational about pursuing more of something you find fun. If your intent is to do things you enjoy, and you know that you enjoy a thing, what could be more rational than doing the thing that you enjoy?

I think that one of the key phrases here would be "guilty pleasure". It means that despite all of your higher-end brain functions telling you that there are very glaring issues with a piece of work, you still find it in yourself to enjoy it despite you knowing perfectly well that it may very well not be good at all. Sometimes this may require conscious shut-down of what bothers you with the movie, and just have fun with it. It's not possible with everything though.

Now to use another one of my personal experiences as an example here (Will contain pony so sorry in advance): the film Equestria Girls.

You can find my review of the movie here: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid240244

And updated after-thoughts after 2nd, and 3rd viewing:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid240677

After several viewings of the movie I concluded that it is extremely stupid, and no matter how I looked at it I couldn't change that. However as you can see in my afterthought post, I mention that the movie, despite its blatant stupidity, can still be fun. This would require me to shut off all the logical reasons I disliked the movie, and just go with all the potential the movie offers to be plain fun just to enjoy it, hence "irrational".

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2013, 09:45 AM by Kreekakon.)
08-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the Point in having High Standards? - by Kreekakon - 08-20-2013, 09:43 AM