Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Requiem review *dont read if not completed*
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Requiem review *dont read if not completed*

Yeah, exactly. The whole idea of entering via a pretty primitive mine was great. At first it would seem like just a mine, but then you'd realize it was much more. The Shelter at the end was like the peak, then you really went like "Woah! What's going to happen next?". I was expecting 50% 2006 Tech Demo and 50% Lost Hatch. I was hoping so hard for Black Plague to revisit some Tech Demo areas. When you finally came into the Shelter though, there wasn't a lot of variety or surprises at all.
Sure, it had to be a practical place, some organization lives down there afterall, but there wasn't anything that made me go "Woah, theese Archaic guys are really the shit!". No impressive computers, no large monuments, no huge tuurngait temples. At least getting to enter the tuurngait ruins for a short while would had made Black Plague a whole lot better.

Story-wise Black Plague kinda spiraled outwards in the end. The infected, the inuit spirits and all that really ruined it for me. When you found your dead father you just yawned and went "Oh... is that my father?" instead of some huge emotional scene. That was probably the biggest mistake apart from the ending: afterall, Howard was the very reason you went to Iceland in the first place.
Reqiuem was the final bolt in the coffin, sorta. The first ruins were kind of interesting, suggesting that the ancestors worshiped the large rock worms and such but after that there wasn't anything really worth noting down there.

I do wonder though if they drew inspiration from the Submachine series, half a dozen online puzzle games. Reqiuem reminded me of them quite a lot. You're in this strange realm where nothing really makes sense and have to solve strange puzzles in order to escape odd locations. You also come across some similar ruins in the Submachine series.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
09-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread