Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
goddammit folks
CielsTenebreuse Offline

Threads: 2
RE: goddammit folks

Hi! I am obviously new to this forum and also have not made anything so far (as I am also a noob to this sort of thing) so you have no reason to care but I definitely would love to help contribute to keep the "Amnesia custom story" train rolling but I don't know how that's going to happen. tl;dr ahoy:

I have two mods I want to do. I have the story, some details aside, pretty much entirely set for one, and the other one is merely a concept, but I do know what I want the first scene for that one to be at least. I still have a lot to learn, I imagine going through enough tutorials I should learn how to make at least a basic custom story with just the assets provided. So far I've only been playing around and throwing disposable rooms together to try to get some things right (progress so far: "I still have a lot to learn" -_-)

Here's the real problem I'm having, like I'm sure many others do: at least one of these requires a couple of certain custom-made enemies (with one possibly having been made already and the other something of my own devising), and for one particular mechanic to receive a major re-coding. I don't know about the latter part but as for 3D modeling, knowing almost nothing about it it's very discouraging to read that modeling is both time-consuming (which I don't care, I have plenty of free time, as long as I know what I'm doing then I'm good) and takes apparently YEARS to learn. Like, half a decade, if people here are to be believed. And I'm certainly not gonna go around and beg a bunch of people who don't know me and have no reason to want to know me to create models for me for free. I also have no interest in a program like Maya simply because I don't have $4000 lying around for a software program when Blender, while supposedly more "difficult" to work with, is free, seems perfectly sufficient and also extremely capable from what I've seen. It's the "knowing how the f--- to use it" part that's a major hurdle for me.

I will say that one of the enemy models I want to do is actually just a basic human. But one who wears clothing, y'know, like most normal people do in public. It's become silly at this point that the only human models we get are dead naked dudes, and I haven't seen any mod that uses anything else so it doesn't look like anyone's gotten around to making one yet. I'm sure that subject has been gone over many times here before. But also what I have in mind is a different "lantern" that requires a different positioning of the hand. I am actually using assets already available from Amnesia for this, hand included, but I've read from people that even that takes like years to learn to animate or something even if it's an already-provided asset. In testing I've successfully managed to change the inventory icons for the "lantern" and "oil," change out the objects they represent before you pick them up (and the sounds they make when you do), and switched to different sound effects when you turn on/off the "lantern" and use "oil" (and the color of the oil meter in addition), and all using stuff already available in the Amnesia folders! But the hand/hand object modeling/animation (a simple animation really, you just raise your arm up while holding the object and raise it down), I am still at a loss for as to what the hell to do, and there's no tutorials for this at all so I'm really stuck. And I'm not sure it's worth bothering to continue if by the time I "learn" to model (also, easy-to-follow tutorials for this are nil too, probably because of that "5 years" thing) nobody will care about Amnesia custom stories anymore.
02-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
goddammit folks - by Streetboat - 12-18-2013, 05:53 AM
RE: goddammit folks - by DnALANGE - 12-18-2013, 06:43 AM
RE: goddammit folks - by Kman - 12-18-2013, 09:05 AM
RE: goddammit folks - by Acies - 12-18-2013, 09:19 AM
RE: goddammit folks - by daortir - 12-18-2013, 12:05 PM
RE: goddammit folks - by Streetboat - 12-19-2013, 03:13 PM
RE: goddammit folks - by Gilligan's Hell - 12-19-2013, 09:44 PM
RE: goddammit folks - by CielsTenebreuse - 02-26-2014, 10:50 AM
RE: goddammit folks - by Romulator - 02-26-2014, 10:58 AM