Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level Editor Help Tips for making a detailed map
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41
RE: Tips for making a detailed map

(03-14-2014, 05:43 PM)YourPersonalBrute Wrote: Hello,
I spend a lot of time myself exploring other people's CS and paying attention how they made the maps.
But is there a list/video/tutorial that containts tips and tricks for a map maker to make a detailed map? Thanks in advance.

General things:
  • Use particle systems
  • Billboards
  • Decals (static ones take up less memory)
  • Place the objects in the room on slight angles (instead of 0, 90, 180, 270, 360, try changing them by up to 2 degrees - 88 or 92 instead of 90)
  • Think about the purpose of the room and the people occupying it - is it a bedroom, a closet, kitchen, grand foyer? Are the people tidy or messy, artists, scientists, millionaires? Their lives will leak in to the area they inhabit, so thinking like this can give some depth to your room
  • Last thing: be logical; don't put a fountain in the middle of a library or a torture device in a bedroom (unless the character is in to that kind of thing... yikes!)

Hope that helps you out a bit; if there's anything else we can help with, don't be afraid to ask c:

Edit: It double-posted on me D8

Second Edit: Take a look at these sexy maps if you want some examples of what I listed

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2014, 07:12 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
03-14-2014, 06:05 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tips for making a detailed map - by CarnivorousJelly - 03-14-2014, 06:05 PM