Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing "Diary" section into something useful (Maps)
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22
RE: Changing "Diary" section into something useful (Maps)

I've benefitted greatly from this tutorial, so I'll add my part:

There is a file called base_english.lang
You can copy some of the entries from it to your extra_english.lang and (provided that they are placed in the correct category) they'll change different stuff. So far I found that you cannot change the inventory messages, but the jounal is fully customisable:

<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
   <Entry Name="Notes">NOTES</Entry>
   <Entry Name="Diaries">DIARIES</Entry>
   <Entry Name="Quest Log">MEMENTOS</Entry>
   <Entry Name="Back">Back</Entry>          //this doesn't appear anywhere for some reason
   <Entry Name="MainBack">BACK</Entry>      //this changes ALL "back" messages in the inventory
   <Entry Name="NotesEmpty">No notes are available!</Entry>
   <Entry Name="DiariesEmpty">No diaries are available!</Entry>
   <Entry Name="QuestsEmpty">No mementos are available!</Entry>
 </CATEGORY>

Hints can be changed (and, as OP mentioned, added) in the same manner:
<CATEGORY Name="Hints">
    <Entry Name="LanternNoItem">You need to find a flashlight before one can be turned on.</Entry>

<Entry Name="PickOil">The Flashlight drains battery when it is turned on.
       To recharge the flashlight, double click on the battery item in the Inventory ($ButInventory).</Entry>

<Entry Name="PickLantern">If you found a flashlight, you can turn it on by pressing $ButLantern
or selecting it in the Inventory ($ButInventory).</Entry>

<Entry Name="DefaultDeath">YOU DIED</Entry>

</CATEGORY>
In this example I changed some mentions of the lantern into flashlight.
Also, for some reason, the default death screen is in the hints category. You can add this entry so that you don't have to change the death screen manually all the time.

The General category is customisable as well:
<CATEGORY Name="General">
   <Entry Name="Loading">Loading...</Entry> //this is the text displayed between levels, underneath the loading screen
   <Entry Name="TheEnd">The End</Entry> //this is displayed after the credits
 </CATEGORY>

As mentioned before, this works for FC's and CS's alike. However in FC's you probably can change all the entries.

This post has been edited, previously I asked how to change the mementos entries. Hence the following replies

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2018, 02:59 PM by Darkfire.)
06-25-2015, 09:10 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Changing "Diary" section into something useful (Maps) - by Darkfire - 06-25-2015, 09:10 PM