Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Let's play / Games industry
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Let's play / Games industry

Quote:Another one thing is stealing. That's also kinda possible thing to do. Clear example with the 10-guys-project Outlast. Stole the Amnesia mechanics and made kinda nice AAA visuals. In general no one really cared about stolen Amnesia mechanics, players got their fun, developers got their start-up attention (and money).

Stolen is a very unfair and accusing word to use, Outlast is inspired by the mechanics of Amnesia but they certainly didn't steal anything. And to be completely fair Amnesia were inspired by mechanics from other games, such as sanity from Dark Corners and player-centered narrative from Half-Life 2.

____
About the industry, I think the easiest way to break into it is to make something yourself and get exposure that way, or get into modding. It's much more valuable to be able to understand the corrolation between assets and game, and how those assets are generally handled by an engine. Much more so than you'd think.

Most of the time just being able to make a model is not enough, and it's not enough to just being able to draw sprites, there's a lot of technical stuff that you need to know before you can actually start making assets, like different file types and how they behave, the difference between colo-depths and stuff like that.

The reason why I'm working on Secluded right now is because it's pretty much the best bet I've got right now and I'm in the fortunate position to actually being able to work on it.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014, 11:39 AM by eliasfrost.)
05-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Let's play / Games industry - by Froge - 05-12-2014, 05:06 AM
RE: Let's play / Games industry - by Alex Ros - 05-12-2014, 07:28 AM
RE: Let's play / Games industry - by Traggey - 05-12-2014, 11:32 AM
RE: Let's play / Games industry - by eliasfrost - 05-12-2014, 11:38 AM