Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avoiding clichés in a custom story???
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19
RE: Avoiding clichés in a custom story???

Hi there. Here's my contribution: don't confuse tropes and clichés. Smile
A trope only becomes a cliché when it is overused, or used carelessly.

I'm assuming you're making a horror story. Horror relies on tropes to function. You need to signify to the player that there is something to be scared of. Waking up in a spooky old castle is one way to do that.

A good technique in horror is to use tropes to signify that something scary is going to happen and build up the tension but then release it, for example: there's a rumble of thunder; the wind picks up and blows out the candles; there is a sound in the darkness and you just know that there is something in the room with you; you light your lantern and glance around ... but there's nothing there...

All of those tropes could be called "clichés" but if you use them well then people won't see them as such. It will leave the player wondering what made the sound, feeling sure that it was something threatening because the tropes set it up that way... and because the scenario of there not actually being a slavering creature in front of you doesn't match up with what you expected, it will be slightly jarring, and therefore unnerving...

...and then keep building tension with no pay off in this way until you think the player almost can't take any more... and then slap a jumpscare on them.

Also, I highly recommend these two videos (and the Extra Credits channel in general):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKtTBjS...vPCOr_Uydg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyiAR2BX...vPCOr_Uydg

(11-13-2014, 12:31 AM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote: My answer would be: "Pay attention, Daniel. It's important that you keep going straight and make sure not to stray."

Yes Flawless, but what's the reason for the darkness?

11-13-2014, 04:46 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Avoiding clichés in a custom story??? - by MrBehemoth - 11-13-2014, 04:46 AM