The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Monstrum - A Question for Frictional Games
Adventurer4Life Offline

Threads: 11
Monstrum - A Question for Frictional Games

Hi there...

I recently played a game by Team Junkfish called Monstrum. It is yet another follower of Frictional's revival of the survival horror. It was ok, in most respects but didn't effect me like Penumbra and Amnesia.

Still, it had one really awesome idea in it. Procedural generated levels.

Basically every time you start a new game the entire "setting" is created procedurally, they also added a variety of monsters. You only get one each game.. but which one.

I LOVE frictional games. They practically single handedly dragged me kicking and screaming into modern gaming. Even so, one thing I always disliked is that they are under such strict narratives. You play it once, and your done. You can replay it, but it is never scary again, as you know where the monsters are, you know the hiding places, you know where the items are.. all that.

In Monstrum with everything procedurally created, every time you play you get the same exploration feeling. Granted the algorithm had a few floors but I think this is where these games need to move. So much of the "horror" comes fomr the unknown... and this allows that to happen.

So my question is.. have you thought of this, or considered it in your games.. and if not.. what do you think of this idea?

Thanks in advance
- Quietly Waiting for Soma

Happy Adventuring
-- A4L
My Review Chan - http://www.youtube.com/adventurereviews
05-30-2015, 09:32 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Monstrum - A Question for Frictional Games - by Adventurer4Life - 05-30-2015, 09:32 AM