Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue: I simply refuse to use the stun gun on any robot in Delta
Sirandar Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Issue: I simply refuse to use the stun gun on any robot in Delta

From the OP

For you it is a game .... for me is is an experience ... to bad the vast majority of experiences in gaming are abusive using the same model. Give a compelling experience at the beginning to garner player investment and then slowly start the abuse which the player tolerates because of the investment. Bio shock Infinite was a classic example of this ... great game up to the baseball scene and then the abuse started. Needless to say I didn't finish that one, but did watch the endings on Youtube and had a decent experience and didn't miss much.

In the frame of the game, Frictional is asking me to do what I wouldn't, in this particular case to get a throwaway part that could easily hidden for me to find instead. I am curious .... if Frictional added a patch to put the chip somewhere I could find and no robot had to die .... Would that change the flow of the game and outcome. I don't know myself.

If allowing me to find the chip doesn't change anything, then Frictional is just making me do stuff I don't like because they want me to. I am their bitch.

And yes, I paid for the game and that pays their salaries and gives them profits. I do expect a game that satisfies me and allows me to complete it. I don't expect my money back, but because they didn't meet my expectation, I will no longer support them. That is the way it is just like I am forced to play the game as it is or leave it.

If developers showed more respect to players they might find a new paying market of customers are just waiting to be tapped. But that market is pretty picky so I cant really blame them for not catering to it.

It is very saddening to me, because what an experience Soma could have been if Frictional would have used the assets and plot to make a compelling thoughtful game, roughly doubling the effort they put into it. But there is little return on their investment there as gamers have been trained what to expect. Soma defies those expectations at the same time it embraces and overuses them.

And along the same lines if it was my choice the ESRB would be completely scrapped as the useless tool it is and the rating system would simply state

a) Forced choices where the player must kill to proceed
b) Forced choices where the player is forced to steal to proceed
c) Forced choices where the player is forced to abuse harm or torture sentient beings to proceed

Then players, including teenagers would know what they are getting into and parents that actually parent could better choose and discuss the games their children play.

Spoiler below!
I played the game up to the robot stun choice like drinking fine wine, and it was. I refuse to stun either robot. I found the document outlining the AI level of both robots and both are ADVANCED AI. Add to that the effects of the WAU and the player at thins point has no way to know if it is a toaster or not. Frictional could edit that document to say that the little white robot is a toaster but even then there is the effects of WAU
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2015, 01:07 AM by Sirandar.)
09-25-2015, 12:32 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Issue: I simply refuse to use the stun gun on any robot in Delta - by Sirandar - 09-25-2015, 12:32 AM