Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Penumbra: Twilight of the Archaic (Necrologue spinoff)
Omnitool Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Penumbra: Twilight of the Archaic (Necrologue spinoff)

This mod (though I'd rather call it a game because that is what it is, a full game) is great! I have wished for a Penumbra prequel since Black Plague came out in 2007! I really wanted a Penumbra game set at the Shelter Station just before the Tuurngait virus outbreak, where you could explore the corridors and labs of the station while everything was still ok, talk to the other scientists, read notes and computer files about the station and the research going on, until something goes terribly wrong (maybe you are the one who triggers it / Gordon Freeman anyone?), and now I can say that I finally got this game!

The game is very atmospheric and immersive, like any Frictional Games work. CounterCurrent really did great job with this title, it is a real masterpiece! The story is the key element of the game, any area explored and any character, enemy or note found are there to contribute to the storytelling, this being the main factor that makes it great. The ambiental lighting, the relation between light and shadow as well as the level of detail and interactivity, combined with the atmospheric and perfectly adapted music score make Twilight of the Archaic an audiovisual work of art. The level design is brilliant, another key asset of the game.
I got a certain Half-Life feel from playing Twilight of the Archaic, especially at the beggining, a feel that I totally loved and it brought back a lot of nostalgia! Even the title of the first chapter "Prepare for Unforseen Consequences" set me in a great mood for beggining my exploration of Shelter Station, reminding me of the gameplay quality. I also loved the frequent automated speaker announcements, which contributed to the atmosphere. As the events unfold, the game gets more of a darker tone, like Black Plague.

I found it a great gameplay experience, and I can't wait to see another Countercurrent Games release! Major Kudos to them, these developers really know how to make a quality, atmospheric experience, and I would unquestionably pay the price of a standard retail game to play any of your titles!

(11-04-2015, 05:25 PM)Filizitas Wrote: It always crashes for me at the first dream sequence. After i used the wheel the water flows up and the game freezes. Halp
I got the very same bug too! The game crashed right after the dream sequence, the loading screen for the next level appeared for a split second then the game crashed. I am using a Windows 7 64-bit PC, everything worked perfectly until this point.
I was lucky, because after it crashed I restarted the game and loaded just before the dream ends, then the game didn't crash anymore, the loading screen appeared and after it finished loading I was able to play further, so for me this error occured only once.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2015, 01:44 PM by Omnitool.)
11-25-2015, 09:28 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Penumbra: Twilight of the Archaic (Necrologue spinoff) - by Omnitool - 11-25-2015, 09:28 AM