Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: How you prefer your horror games:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
With weapons.
4.17%
1 4.17%
With no weapons.
16.67%
4 16.67%
With weapons and no weapons.
79.17%
19 79.17%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Weapons or no weapons in horror games?
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78
RE: Weapons or no weapons in horror games?

I think that as long as the game with weapons builds up a great atmosphere and tension it's fine to add a bunch of weapons, but you have to make sure that player is primarily focused on the horrors around him, not on fighting off hordes of villains. Silent Hill 2 has both suspenseful horror and combat system, and yet I was freaking out when I was playing it. Heck, I can even say that the same thing goes for Penumbra Overture as well, maybe it's not THAT scary, but it's definitely creepy and has a combat system as well.

I love the idea of having no weapons in your horror game; being defenseless, having to either run around or hide in the dark. Amnesia did it right. SOMA does it right. But you can start seeing more and more games following this trend; this becomes repetitive and boring. I've already had enough of it. Why not combine the two things? Why not give the player the ability to knock out the enemies instead of killing them, and after a certain amount of time, they wake up again, and are trying to murder you. You slap an enemy, you're safe for a specific time, but not for ever. This seems even more creepy because you'd never know if the enemy you just punched would come back for you, or if he'd give up.

Well that's pretty much all I have to say about weapons in horror games.
01-07-2016, 07:51 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Weapons or no weapons in horror games? - by Slanderous - 01-07-2016, 07:51 PM