The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion for an in-game tutorial for scripting
Alterforest Offline

Threads: 2
Suggestion for an in-game tutorial for scripting

I had an idea for an in-game tutorial for the the level editor.

I don't have much experience when it comes to scripting, so I thought it would be nice if there where a custom map that had different kinds of scripts in it that could be explained in-game by notes you pick up. This way you can first find a note with information about a script then see it in action. For example: You find a note that explains a script for making an event occur, maybe a door that slams shut when you approach it, and then you can experience the result right after reading by approaching an ajar door in the same room.

But why make a map when you can ask for help on the forums and/or read the documentation? Well I thought it would be funnier/easier learning while experiencing. You could even bake in some story in the tutorial to make it more interesting.

So like I said in the beginning, I can't script myself so I write this in hope that maybe someone can and want to do this. It's nothing that has to be made, but it might awaken interest for more people to learn scripting and they can make their own story to share with us.

Please tell me if you think this is a good or bad idea, or if you are interested in this "mission". Maybe several people wants to cooperate? Maybe I might even get the developers interested with this post to work on this if they have time? Tongue
09-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Suggestion for an in-game tutorial for scripting - by Alterforest - 09-25-2010, 10:42 PM