Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Script Help Some questions regarding modding
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19
RE: Some questions regarding modding

About the AI.
I've been thinking of this for quite some time and I even managed to get some working prototypes done and I can safely tell you, that using monsters is not a way to go.

I started with exactly that, making a monster that would not hurt you, but I soon realized that it's much more comfortable to use the "NPC" class of entities.

NPC already has the (perhaps) most important feature, "head tracking", meaning the NPC (or the bones you select) will turn toward the player if he's in a certain area. And that happens regardless of the animation.

Using the NPC entity and PlayPropAnimation("entity", "animation", 1.0f, false, "finishCallback"); you can even achieve walking.
I did that with Rotating the entity the way it's supposed to go (or play animation of it turning) and play the animation of walking I used the on finish callback (string &in asProp) to stop the animation and move it to the exact spot it went to. Sure, there are some collision problems, but it's still probably easier than managing "friendly" monsters. (depending on what you need to accomplish).

Sorry for the rant...
07-29-2016, 03:34 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some questions regarding modding - by Mudbill - 07-26-2016, 01:38 AM
RE: Some questions regarding modding - by 7heDubz - 07-26-2016, 03:11 AM
RE: Some questions regarding modding - by Spelos - 07-26-2016, 08:14 AM
RE: Some questions regarding modding - by Mudbill - 07-27-2016, 09:25 AM
RE: Some questions regarding modding - by Spelos - 07-29-2016, 03:34 PM
RE: Some questions regarding modding - by Spelos - 07-31-2016, 06:23 AM