Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Linux Beta Demo and Feedback (1.0.1 Final Out)
OuchOfDeath Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback

I'm on Ubuntu (7.04 testing) x64 and I was able to get the game working after messing around with things like copying libraries and the sort.

First off I already had 32-bit compatibility libraries installed when I started trying to get it to work. If I didn't I probably wouldn't get too far. Tongue

Ok, so when I executed the installer the first thing I got was an ugly: awk: cannot open ./bin/linux/x86_64/edelta_src (No such file or directory)

I extracted the installer to look around with what was wrong and I immediately noticed it was looking for files in the x86_64 directory, but the problem was that directory didn't exist. The nixstaller is only 32-bit. The other problem was it detected my system as x64, which lead the installer to fail. I found the solution to this problem looking around if I was missing any 32-bit compatibility packages. I found the linux32 package. It was a simple wrapper that would tell a program it was running in a 32-bit environement. So I ran: linux32 ./PenumbraDemo.sh and voila! The installer reported being run in an x86 environment, started, and went by flawlessly.

When I attempted to start the game I was greeted with an ugly: error while loading shared libraries: libvorbisfile.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The game was attempting to load this library, but the problem was it was 64-bit. So I went to packages.ubuntu.com and downloaded the 32-bit version libvorbisfile package and extracted the library into the game's lib folder. I had to do this 2 more times for 2 other libraries(libvorbis and libogg) and then the game started up and ran perfectly.

Would it be possible to include these libraries with the game so it's easier to run it in x64? They only take up 130KB when compressed.

One more thing I did is I added these 3 lines to the beginning of the penumbrademo script file:
#!/bin/sh
path="`dirname \"${0}\"`"
cd "${path}"

Then it could be double clicked from a GUI file manager to start the game up.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2007, 03:21 PM by the Mage.)
03-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread