The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Show messages / text when looking at an area? (Kind of solved)
Shadowfied Offline

Threads: 34
Show messages / text when looking at an area? (Kind of solved)

I've seen in a few maps that when you look at something there appears text about whatever object / item you are looking at. I've inspected a map in which there are a lot of these, that map / story is "The Estate". I saw that the creator used "Sign Areas" around the objects then changed the "Text Cat" to "Descriptions" and "TextEntry" to the name of an entry inside the Descriptions category in the extra_english.lang file.

For example....

In one room there is a map of Spain, when you look at it, the following message appears. "A map of Spain, it looks worn."

In the level editor, there is a sign area around the map with..
TextCat: Descriptions
TextEntry: Spain

And in the extra_english.lang file

<CATEGORY Name="Descriptions">

<Entry Name="Spain"> A map of Spain, it looks worn.</Entry>

</CATEGORY>

So I tried doing the same thing in my own map but it doesn't work. I've looked through the scripts for the levels but I can't find anything about the messages there, so obviously there is no script required for this, but why ain't it working for me?

I have made a sign area around a chandelier, changed the TextCat to Descriptions and TextEntry to Chandelier and added them to my extra_english.lang file, it looks like this:

<CATEGORY Name = "Descriptions"
<Entry Name="Chandelier"> This chandelier lights up the entire room.</Entry>

</CATEGORY>

Thanks in advance!
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2011, 12:03 PM by Shadowfied.)
05-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Show messages / text when looking at an area? (Kind of solved) - by Shadowfied - 05-09-2011, 11:46 AM