Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the secret formula for scaring someone [No cheap scares!]
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: What is the secret formula for scaring someone [No cheap scares!]

Sadly, there is no magical formula for making someone scared because everyone is different. But there are a few things that can help: Atmosphere and build-up.

Atmosphere consists of visual and audio aspects of the game. The amount of detail you put into your maps will go along way, as will the proper music choice. For build up (the example I will use it based around the monster), don't just have monsters pop out, but give the player subtle hints at what's to come. Do things like having a monster sound in the next room over. Then, give the player a glance of the monster.

Think Archives. One of the first levels of TDD, but it has a really big impact on the player because they used techniques like this.

A nice, disturbing story line also does a good story justice. Hope I was of some help!

I rate it 3 memes.
04-18-2012, 04:18 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the secret formula for scaring someone [No cheap scares!] - by Adny - 04-18-2012, 04:18 AM