Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Ending Explained!
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19
RE: The Ending Explained!

(05-04-2012, 08:29 PM)HallucinogenX Wrote: What do we know about Philip?

Philip's surname is given as Buchanon in Overture, yet according to Black Plague, his father's name is Howard LeFresque. We also know that Howard left Philip before he was born - this would suggest that either Philip's parents were never married, or they had divorced before his birth. Either way,Philip wasn't brought up in ideal family circumstances.

Perhaps this also explains why Philip seems to tell no one about his trip certainly the tone of the email he sends at the end of Black Plague suggests that the recipient is the first and only person that Philip confides in.
This would also indicate he has no family to speak of, and no incentive to stay in his former life. Loneliness seems to be a recurring theme in the series - not once does Philip come face-to-face with another recognizable
person, for example. The corridors in Overture also serve to dwarf Philip in size, perhaps underlining the perceived insignificance of his existence.

Well, in the beginning of Overture we find out that Howard was declared legally dead since just about the same time as he left Phillip. So his mother probably reverted to her maiden name. Also, Phillip says his father left 30 years before sending the letter, so when he got the letter he's at least 30 years old and would be about 31 when going to Greenland.

Now, I have a personal theory about who he writes the email to. In the beginning of Overture Phillip finds a book written in an unknown language. He takes this and shows it to a linguist - I believe he sent the email to that linguist. Of course, there is no way to tell who he sent it from what is in the game.

(05-04-2012, 08:29 PM)HallucinogenX Wrote: The turngait are like the reverse of humanity.Humanity is peaceful and intelligent as individuals but dangerous as a whole but the Tuurngait is dangerous as individual but peaceful as a whole.

The point of the Tuurngait is that it is a hivemind - there is just one. The Tuurngait don't have any individuals. Furthermore, animals infected by the Tuurngait don't become part of this hivemind, they just become large and hungry, not peaceful.

(05-06-2012, 09:34 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: To be honest, though, I think we're just making excuses for a story that FG didn't actually think through more than a few seconds. The ending works only because it's such a big twist, but it doesn't really make sense.
I think the story is good. The ending seems weak because there is no resolution, only despair... as such, some people are going to be disappointed and feel that perhaps it was pointless to play the game.

(05-06-2012, 09:34 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Would it be a large, big budget company studio, I wouldn't forgive them.
Large, big budget companies make crappy stories all the time, most people buy their games anyway. Sad

However, you should check out the massive butthurt among the fans of Mass Effect because of the ending of Mass Effect 3 didn't make any sense and had no resolution whatsoever.

(05-06-2012, 11:46 AM)HallucinogenX Wrote: I'm sorry but i think this is a stupid idea.There is very little evidence to back up this claim.Amabel was very much a real person.

I think you are misunderstanding his post. What he means is that Amabel was infected and in the process of turning into a Tuurngait, just like Dr Eminiss. Basically, she only helped because she was stuck and needed to get out, again just like Dr Eminiss. The theory has merit but I personally don't believe in it.

(05-06-2012, 11:46 AM)HallucinogenX Wrote: But Black Plague made it pretty clear that there are indeed spirits called Tuurngait.I did not like that.The game would have been perfect if the writers never implied that the activity caused in the mines was definitely because of a spirit.I wish that they left it to our imagination so that we could interpret the events as something supernatural or as some scientific mystery.

I think it's pretty clear that the Tuurngait is an alien virus... the Inuit only called them spirits because they couldn't understand them.
05-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
The Ending Explained! - by HallucinogenX - 05-04-2012, 08:29 PM
RE: The Ending Explained! - by Cranky Old Man - 05-04-2012, 08:51 PM
RE: The Ending Explained! - by RawkBandMan - 05-05-2012, 06:45 PM
RE: The Ending Explained! - by Bek - 05-06-2012, 09:23 AM
RE: The Ending Explained! - by HallucinogenX - 05-06-2012, 11:46 AM
RE: The Ending Explained! - by spukrian - 05-06-2012, 01:05 PM
RE: The Ending Explained! - by Cranky Old Man - 05-06-2012, 09:34 AM
RE: The Ending Explained! - by Bek - 05-06-2012, 02:05 PM