Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Feeding the player backstory
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118
RE: Feeding the player backstory

I'm sort of taking a similar approach in that there's a lot of backstory in my CS that should be revealed to the player as he goes through the game, and I've decided to take two approaches to it:

1) Journals from different perspectives: I've placed journals around the levels that reveal bits and pieces of the backstory, but from the point of view of whatever character is relevant to the place the player is in. Not only are they often chronologically out of order as the player finds them, but several important details are omitted because of the note's point of view. They will need to find a different character's note to fill in the gaps in the backstory.

2) Loading screens: Through the loading screen texts, I reveal events of the distant past that set the events of the game in motion, in chronological order. But also like the original game, they appear as snippets that appear to be taken out of a much large writing, and thus lack a lot of context. The player has to associate it with the other loading screen texts and journals he finds.

I went about this hoping I could reveal backstory in a realistic way that didn't make things too easy to figure out. Hope this helped a little bit!

06-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Feeding the player backstory - by palistov - 06-15-2012, 10:02 AM
RE: Feeding the player backstory - by Damascus - 06-15-2012, 10:31 AM
RE: Feeding the player backstory - by Adny - 06-15-2012, 02:06 PM
RE: Feeding the player backstory - by Adrianis - 06-15-2012, 02:56 PM
RE: Feeding the player backstory - by Acies - 06-15-2012, 03:01 PM
RE: Feeding the player backstory - by Bridge - 06-15-2012, 06:00 PM
RE: Feeding the player backstory - by palistov - 06-15-2012, 08:09 PM