Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

ASYLUM - Scarier than the upcoming Amnesia? [New horror game found]
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
Heart  RE: ASYLUM - Scarier than the upcoming Amnesia? [New horror game found]

(07-20-2012, 12:21 AM)Bridge Wrote:
(07-19-2012, 08:51 PM)Traggey Wrote:
(07-19-2012, 08:47 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Oh, is it really Point & Click? Isn't there a true 3D world? Can't you move the character without clicking on a static position?
This would really ruin the project. I hope it will NOT be Point & Click!

The devs said it will be Point & Click, but the 3D environments and the freeflight camera doesn't show that. It looks like a real 3D world.

What do you think?
It's a point & click, and I honestly think that'll work just fine.

It's however not a standard point & click, the world is fully 3D, I imagine the movements and such working very much alike ''Legend of Grimrock''.

It'll be quite different from what we've seen done in the horror genre and I like the idea of exploring, it's still a young genre with lots of potential!
It's not my idea of a good time. It's unrealistic and distracting, plus the games that implemented such a system did so because of technical limitations (Myst for example, and guess what, they remade it with mouselook and 3D movement). I don't like grid-based movement apart from in RTSs and I just can't see how it could be fun to play at all, especially with the jarring fade effect they have going on.
First-person point-and-clicking isn't the newest or greatest system of getting around, but it has its advantages. I actually found the original MYST to be much more engaging, because RealMYST had very slow movement speed that made some of the puzzles end up being quite a chore. I'm not entirely sure how well it plays out in horror games, but the age-old PCA movement is arguably the strongest for adventure games.

For example, with predefined points from which players view the environment, the developers can pay attention to higher detail in the surroundings but also make sure that certain items are given proper visibility at all times. If you need to find a potion that is nearby some junk leaning against the wall or whatever, you will always be in the exact spot that will give you good visibility. Whereas with full 3D movement you could be only half a meter away from that predefined spot and you could completely miss the potion because some gritty artistic detail in the level is blocking your line of sight. The PCA style of movement is a sturdy means to keep accidental pixel hunting like that from ensuing.

In general, the system is very economical, and I don't think it will actually harm the game in any tangible way. It's definitely not going to be a survival horror, so as long as it stays away from the physical and focuses on the psychological, it could still play a damn fine array of tricks and end up being shit-your-pants scary.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
07-21-2012, 04:22 AM
Website Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: ASYLUM - Scarier than the upcoming Amnesia? [New horror game found] - by Sexbad - 07-21-2012, 04:22 AM
Asylum Kickstarter! - by Dave Hopman - 01-29-2013, 10:52 PM
RE: Asylum Kickstarter! - by Statyk - 01-30-2013, 12:37 AM
RE: Asylum Kickstarter! - by plutomaniac - 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM