The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can HPL2 do this? (Texture swapping based on camera)
Arkham Offline

Threads: 1
Question  Can HPL2 do this? (Texture swapping based on camera)

Hey all --

I finished playing TDD and Justine as of a few days ago, and I enjoyed my "bout of Amnesia" a great deal. I'm excited at the idea of creating a short custom story, just to see what I can do in an engine centered around creating a horror experience.
While I've done modding/environment art in other contexts (mostly UT3/UDK) I'm asking this question as a complete newbie to HPL2, so I really have no idea if what I'm asking about is a reasonable expectation, or completely out of the question, so please bear with me.

This is an idea of mine that has been kicking around in my head in rudimentary fashion for a while now, but the painting of Alexander in the Transept section of the game really got me wondering if this game's engine could do something like this. I'm not much of a scripter, but if this kind of thing can be done then I might just have to learn how.

Consider the following setup:

Say we have a scene with a bunch of stained glass windows. Though it could be other things like paintings or whatever. For the purposes of fleshing out this example let's call it stained glass.
So, say you're walking down a cathedral nave or whatever, and there are several panes of stained glass on the walls around you.
Each window has two different versions of its particular texture -- one depicting a normal, innocuous-looking scene, and a second version with subtly warped/wicked/horrific details added.
Most of the windows will display their "normal" texture; but a few of them, randomly selected, will display the warped version by default.

Here's where I think it gets tricky --
The randomly-selected warped versions should only display the warped texture while they are located in the player's peripheral vision. Once the player looks at them (i.e. the camera views the window in question within a certain radius of the targeting reticle) they jump back to displaying the normal texture.

After this switcheroo-dealie, the warped version doesn't come back... for now. In other words, even if the player tries to move the suspiciously-behaving window back into their peripheral vision to see the warped version of the window, the window stubbornly continues to look normal. ("Was it all in my head??")

Once the window passes out of the camera's view entirely (the player is looking away or has walked passed it), a timer starts counting down for somewhere between 10 and 20 seconds. Once the timer finishes counting down, the whole script resets itself, and we go from the beginning -- either the window gets weird again in peripheral vision, or perhaps that window stays normal and another window gets selected for wierd-ification.

So, to actually distill all that into a question: is this possible/feasible? Huh
Thanks in advance.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2012, 10:21 AM by Arkham.)
08-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Can HPL2 do this? (Texture swapping based on camera) - by Arkham - 08-22-2012, 10:18 AM