Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Suggestions for Future Horror Games
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50
RE: Suggestions for Future Horror Games

(09-02-2012, 09:05 AM)Googolplex Wrote:
(09-02-2012, 12:29 AM)Zaffre Wrote: Hi. I've been coming up with some ideas that would make horror games scarier and more immersive, and I was wondering what the Frictional Games community could come up with. My idea is an enemy that always stays in your peripheral vision, in the darkness. When you turn to look at it, it would seemingly vanish because it moves incredibly fast. The farther you get into the game, the more frequently it would appear. It would make no noise, and would never harm you. This is similar to a fictional creature dubbed SCP-372 which always stays in your blind spots.

So, what do you all think? What would make horror games scarier?

Hello Zaffre.

I like this whole idea, but let me explain why it will kill the immersion.
The idea is excellent, but the problem is, that you'll become familiar to that effect when a monster is appearing in a more frequently. And a further problem is, that the monster would be a main part of the game and you need a story for it.
The horror would not be improved when you always repeat the same effects.
The idea is good, but it should only appear one or two times in the game. Otherwise it will lose credibility.

I also wanted to add a nice feature by that you'll hear someone behind you, but you can't see anyone when looking around. But a horror game should be careful with that effects, you need talented people as Frictional Games knowing how and where to build in such effects. Because sometimes it's scarier when nothing is happen instead of a couple of effects following you. The horror mainly is in the head and not always existing in reality. I think, Frictional Games are good guys and they understand something about that. Let's be patient for their next upcoming game they're working since 2 years.
I see your point. This creature might appear in one area of the game only, and be so subtle at first you never notice it unless you're very alert, and as you progress through the area, its encounters get more and more frequent. It could be like one of the scrapped enemies in SCP: Containment Breach, which stays in your blind spots but only starts to appear once an event triggers it. This could be similar, where it only starts to appear once you get to a certain point.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
09-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Suggestions for Future Horror Games - by Zaffre - 09-02-2012, 12:29 AM
RE: Suggestions for Future Horror Games - by Zaffre - 09-02-2012, 06:44 PM