The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Things for Setting Up Monsters
Kiorga(x2)rd Offline

Threads: 12
All Things for Setting Up Monsters

Hi. I've been using the level editor and coding Amnesia for quite some time now and there is always one huge part I shy away from, and that is, 'properly' setting up monsters. I say properly in inverted comas because I can set them up to some extent. They spawn, they move around, I can get them to do a lot of things. But where I put path nodes large distances away (i.e. one and the start and end of a hallway, and usually the monster will successfully walk it's length), I see other people, including the original Amnesia levels, putting in stacks of path nodes every foot or so. When I do this, I find the monster stopping for a split second at every node. And I know there is a "wait time" in the script for the node, but I'm sure I have this set to zero each time. I find my monsters often not knowing what they are doing, disappearing or trying to mate with a wall.

Furthermore, I haven't really delved in the proper use of setting up large quantities of similar scripts. And what I mean by that is, if I create twelve path nodes for a monster, I'll copy the code twelve times. But where the original Amnesia levels have hundred of path nodes, they don't have hundreds of lines of code to describe them. How do they set this up?

As you can see, I don't really understand how the monsters are suppose to truly work. I have made this thread because I'm at a point in the development of my custom story where I can no longer have my monsters that are suppose to be patrolling a square corridor section, disappearing after one lap. Thank you in advance for your help. And one last thing, if anyone can put a little extra in the explanation of how the water lurkers are suppose to move through their environment, I'd be much obliged. This is another thing I need to sort out, my water lurker doesn't know what the hell he is doing, I want him to act the way they get him to in the vanilla game.

Thanks.

Apparently the user name "Kiorgaard" isn't accepted by the administrator. Turns out you can't have a name with a double 'a' in it. Odd...
10-01-2012, 04:24 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
All Things for Setting Up Monsters - by Kiorga(x2)rd - 10-01-2012, 04:24 AM