Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Level Editor Help Black&White screen effect possible?
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Black&White screen effect possible?

First, please take note of this; if your custom story uses these effects, than that means that, in order for it to be the same on a different computer, it must replace the two files which come with the original game on that computer (namely, the gradient image, and the shader program). Make sure you provide a way for the players to restore the game to it's normal state if something gets accidentally messed up!

Now, I've set it up so that when the game is started normally, nothing changes, but when the custom story is started, a different colorconv_sepia.tga file gets loaded (the one in your FC), so you get a different effect for the full conversion.

In order for this to happen, in its resources.cfg file, the FC should specify the path to its own colorconv_sepia.tga in a line that comes before the path to the original file (the one in redist\textures\effects - but you can't simply remove the old path, because, IIRC, there are other files there that need to be loaded for other purposes).
Did you do this? Could that be the problem?

Since this has really nothing to do with scripting, the problem most likely isn't in the script file? What happens when you call FadeSepiaColorTo()? Does it fade normally, or something else?

One way to test if this works at all is to temporarily copy the changed effect file from your FC to the redist\textures\effects (replacing the modified "standard sepia" colorconv_sepia.tga file), thus temporarily affecting the whole game (including the original), and then running the game and checking out the effect. If it is different than normal, then you've setup the shader correctly, which means that you need to focus on the resources.cfg (of the FC).

Now, between the Amnesia versions, there are some differences between how it handles resources, and resources.cfg files, so something could be causing a problem there as well; but I don't know the details, I would have to do some research first. I'll get back to you on that.

In the mean time, I think YourComputer wrote somewhere something about how resources are handled in different versions, with regard to CSs and FCs, so you could search the forums/wiki, or maybe ask him. And there's probably a log-page of changes made between the versions by frictional games, which could possibly list this.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2013, 05:24 PM by TheGreatCthulhu.)
04-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Black&White screen effect possible? - by Daemian - 12-31-2012, 05:14 AM
RE: Black&White screen effect possible? - by TheGreatCthulhu - 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM