Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nublette Requires Assistance with Scripting and Puzzles
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10
RE: The Nublette Needs Help With Everything

Successfully solving such riddles is related to the cultural and linguistic background of the player, so what some people might get, others might not, etc., which makes it hard to get it right.

For example, when I first read the last line, i didn't get it as "lifeless, yet it can be drowned", I got it as "lifeless, yet it can drown you", which immediately made me think of water (quite the opposite of what you intended), forgetting any thoughts about fire I had before. I think it's mostly because (1) in the previous lines all the verbs, the "actions" of the fire are... well, active, while "drowns", as you intended it, is passive (and I'm not talking about the form of the sentence, but about the meaning of the verb itself - "to drown someone" vs "to get drowned"); another reason is that (2) English is not my native language, so I might have some bias towards one meaning or another.

(Edit: transitive vs intransitive form of the verb - is that what I'm talking about? XD)

So, maybe add a few more lines, talk some more about how it gives light and life, and how it can take it as well, maybe allude to some other concepts related to fire, etc.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2013, 08:21 PM by TheGreatCthulhu.)
01-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Nublette Needs Help With Everything - by TheGreatCthulhu - 01-12-2013, 08:00 PM