Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do people don't care about the history?
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: Why do people don't care about the history?

(01-06-2013, 03:37 AM)str4wberrypanic Wrote: I was thinking about this recently, and i think that a lot of people who likes custom storys don't actually care about the history. That's because i've never seen any feedback about how good the history was, and the way people read memos in videos. I've realized this when i was reading the comments of " Followed by Death " in Moddb. Everyone says " oh, it was scary " or " nice scripts " or something like that, but never " oh, i really liked the history line ". It has a cool story and everything, but people don't care... I mean... for me, Amnesia was scary because of the history. The more i knew, the more i feared it.
But i don't know, it looks like people see a memo and just feel too lazy to read it. I think i've taken more time thinking about a cool history than making it, but it seems that all who people care is about the script level. And when i think about it, i don't feel animated to make a hard story, since people will only read the memo if it's part of a puzzle or something, and this is really bad. :l
What do you guys think?
I like it when Lore isn't shoved in your face. You take a Alien from Planet X, dress him up as a human give him basic English and stick him into the middle of New York. You don't tell him anything other than he is on a planet called Earth, in a city called New York and the people surrounding him are called Humans.
His objective is to go South and reach a abandoned mothership and you must pilot it north into Canada and cook Bacon or some weird shit like that. But really it's just to escape from Earth while killing the Evil Mastermind Pig that has enslaved the human race.

You walk around, and you see a big building labeled New York Stock Exchange. "Hell, I don't know what that is. But I'll read up on it later". You walk some more, dodging dangerous steel monsters with bright eyes that run away after they see your menacing face. "Ok, I suppose those monsters were easy to dispatch. I better read up on their strengths and weaknesses later."

A couple of hours later, your lost somewhere in the west in something called a subway. On your way their, you had to fight a terrifying, short, four legged, long eared boss. By grabbing a newspaper and shooing it away as it tried with great success at destroying your shoes.

It doesn't sound anything like Dark Souls. But it's kinda, sorta, not really similar to how they introduce the world. Their isn't any notes or flashpoints explaining the story in great, immersive, chronological order lore. It's just run through it all, and what you see is what you get. (Btw, I hate reading notes because 98% are filled with mistakes or terrible English. I understand if it's not your strong point, I'm a native American-speaking-English and I struggle somewhat with verbal or text communication. Find someone to help you out!)

Another form of Lore I love are the snippets given to you at regular intervals. If anyone has read the Bartimaeus Trilogy, half of the book is filled with snippets of information at the bottom of almost every page. References to King Solomon, Dijin in a Lamp, Atlas, Another Dijin in a Bridge, Farqual, Ptolemy, Empires, etc...
Their are just references and jokes everywhere, and it just raises thousands of burning questions in my mind every time I read one of them. And they were very humorous also.

Something in Amnesia that always caught my eye were the game loading screens. These little snippets of text always made me wonder about "Who were they?" -- "Are they related to the story of Amnesia?". Something like Hazel still today makes me wonder to what importance she had.
Don't tell me who Hazel is, I want to keep my ignorance about her.
01-10-2013, 05:33 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do people don't care about the history? - by Rapture - 01-10-2013, 05:33 AM