Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

"The most exciting RPG games you've ever played"-thread
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: "The most exciting RPG games you've ever played"-thread

You don't have to agree, but the fact is that JRPGs don't follow traditional RPG formulas and that's the thing I find difficult to understand why they are called RPGs when they do the complete opposite.

I suggest you play the older RPGs such as Baldurs Gate 2, Fallout 1&2 (not 3). The most involving cRPGs I've played are Planescape Torment and Arcanum.

And ARPG is a different genre, Diablo is a classical ARPG (Action RPG), I might come across as a purist but I don't count them as RPGs personally, I would say Skyrim and Fallout 3 fall into this genre in a lot of ways.

Quote:You find the story, it's more like real-life.
And that's the core of the Roleplaying experience, to create the story yourself and immerse yourself in the world as the character you create. Playing an already defined role is not roleplaying, even though the term is a bit vague, you do play a role but you didn't create it, thus it's not your role, which is the premise of the RPG genre since it was first invented in the 70's. JRPGs generally break these rules, and it's actually one of the core elements of JRPGs, to not create your character but be given one.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2013, 03:34 AM by eliasfrost.)
02-07-2013, 03:29 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: "The most exciting RPG games you've ever played"-thread - by eliasfrost - 02-07-2013, 03:29 AM