Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

2013-02 Tuesday 19th, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Status Update
Minecrawler Offline
Banned

Threads: 0
RE: 2013-02 Tuesday 19th, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Status Update

(02-22-2013, 02:11 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: As for me that's the most interesting part of the announcement. Amnesia was strictly classical horror game in a cliche haunted house. Frictional do know it by themselves if you played Amnesia with a commentary mode. They knew it's a just horror horror and horror and a only little bit of philosophy, subtext, undertones... etc. And that "hole" is exactly what I presume is now filled. At least thechineseroom are exactly those guys who do games...

Amnesia is not only horror, horror and horror. Amnesia has a background story and some interesting exploration out of the storyline. For example the notes of the builder of bridge machinery in control room, or some other parts of prussia kingdom. Amnesia is very intellectual and presents high-level story telling. It's not only about the horror. There are also some very nice melancholic parts in the game. For example the Back Hall. It's a place that feels like to be in heaven - the very contrary of horror. But that makes a very impressively contrast between cozy and the dark side of human evil.

After all, thechineseroom aren't those guys who filled a hole. I think there is no hole to fill. They show how to make an intellectual game with Dear Esther, but a game like that, where the player absolutely can't do anything, is not that kind of game I want. I very like to explore the world and thinking about puzzles how to get forward. I want to be involved, build my own way out and want to think what to do as next.
In combination with good story and atmosphere, that all makes a good game. Not only one of that things alone!

(02-22-2013, 02:11 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: As for immersion. The presence or absence of voice or text is NOT that thing that sucks you into a fearful fantasy world. Of course voice or text do matters, but they aren't critical. Critical are storyline, level-design and characters (including enemies). No less, no more. There's nothing to even talk about.

Well, but that doesn't mutually exclusive each other. Story and level-design actually is nearly perfect, so why not make the texts also perfect? And I think the text wise takes a very big affect to immersion. It makes a big difference if the player says "I" or "You" to himself. This little text change will influence the immersion!

And where they're working on translations now, I don't see anything why not making it correct from the beginning.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2013, 05:40 PM by Minecrawler.)
02-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2013-02 Tuesday 19th, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Status Update - by Minecrawler - 02-22-2013, 05:37 PM