The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to this, having some trouble
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26
New to this, having some trouble

I'm sure you guys hear this at least twice a day from new users and by now you probably have gotten sick of it, but I got a new PC a month ago and bought Amnesia. I played a bunch of custom stories (About 20 or so) and then got the idea of "Maybe I should try making my own"

It started as just a bit of messing around with no real intent to create an actual map, but it's evolved a lot. The physical map itself is pretty much done with the exception of adding items like keys and oil and tossing in a few decorations to make it less bland, then I gotta script it all together and make a few notes. I know nothing of scripting but I've been gradually learning (Woke my girlfriend up at 3 AM by cheering because I managed to get a monster to walk across a room)

I wanted to wait as long as possible before asking for help and I've solved many of my problems by researching and watching/reading tutorials. But now I've encountered some problems I couldn't find solutions to. 3 so far (Probably will be more later on)

Problem 1: (This is the major problem, the other 2 I can work around on my own if I can't find a solution)
My doors keep getting stuck. I've followed every door tutorial I could find, but to no avail. It seems like they're rubbing against the door frame. It seems to worsen the more I open/close the door, but other times it does it right away. I tried fixing this by changing the proportions of the door to be slightly smaller so that the door is sorta "floating" within the doorway but unless I leave BIG gaps on each side it still gets stuck, and doing that allows the player to look through the gaps and also the door just looks goofy floating there.

Problem 2: Spotlight won't deactivate. I dunno what's going on here as all my other entities that start deactivated stay that way while I'm testing the level, but when I place a spotlight and uncheck the "active" box, I can still see the light while testing the level. I'll attach screenshots to show what it looks like in the editor vs. in game.

Problem 3: Is there any way to briefly make the player invincible? I have a part where the players slides down an incline but when I test the level he repeatedly gets hurt during it leaving him almost dead when he gets to the bottom. I know I could just put some laudanum at the bottom but it still breaks the immersion to have him constantly getting hit by nothing during the slide. I've thought of making the incline less steep then just taking control of the player once they get to it and making them run at full speed down it to simulate sliding but 1: Doing so leaves the incline not steep enough to make sliding down it believable and 2: the running speed isn't really fast enough to make the sliding believable.

Sorry to smack everyone with a wall of text on my first post. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help my dumb ass.

P.S. I didn't put this as one of my problems as it'll be quite a while before I have to worry about this, but I have some custom entities in my story. When someone else goes to play it will the map be able to read them from the custom story folder (right now I have them in the main game folder under Entities>Gameplay>folder name of each one) or would I have to tell the player to manually put those entities in his main entity folder too?

Attached Files
.jpg   InEditor.jpg (Size: 153.15 KB / Downloads: 120)
.jpg   InGame.jpg (Size: 177.47 KB / Downloads: 119)

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
02-27-2013, 07:23 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
New to this, having some trouble - by DeAngelo - 02-27-2013, 07:23 AM
RE: New to this, having some trouble - by NaxEla - 02-27-2013, 07:40 AM
RE: New to this, having some trouble - by NaxEla - 02-27-2013, 08:51 AM
RE: New to this, having some trouble - by NaxEla - 02-27-2013, 09:36 AM
RE: New to this, having some trouble - by NaxEla - 03-02-2013, 10:05 AM