Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia: The Dark Descent or Penumbra: The Black Plague?
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: Amnesia: The Dark Descent or Penumbra: The Black Plague?

It looks like this thread has been necro'd, but whatever I'll post my thoughts anyway.

I would say Amnesia is the better game, though I really enjoy both. Keep in mind I'm not considering Penumbra: Overture in my comparison, because that was improved on by Black plague. Penumbra is rough around the edges, in terms of puzzles, graphics, gameplay, monsters, atmosphere, actually mostly everything except maybe story. I liked the story a lot and I think that's maybe one thing Amnesia has less of than Penumbra, even though Penumbra is riddled with long and boring notes. I just find that Amnesia does everything it does better than Penumbra, so I feel like Penumbra is just the young puberty version of Amnesia (if that makes any sense). Frictional obviously took what they learned from Penumbra to the next level with Amnesia. Puzzles are less ridiculous (though still ridiculous at times), graphics improved, monsters are waay scarier (I mean a hell of a lot scarier, though I liked how Penumbra had many of them!). For gameplay, there is less pointless stuff like the flares and two sources of light. I felt Amnesia creates also a scarier environment, with better ambiance and setting, it created a bigger sense of dread for me. I just really like the Amnesia setting for horror games, I think it's the scariest I've seen but that's just me.

I'm not sure really why Penumbra is above Amnesia for so many, the answer seems to be clear to me but perhaps that is because I played Amnesia first. I tried to be as unbiased as possible, though.

Also, I wish this thread was made as a poll!

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013, 04:39 AM by Damascus Rose.)
10-21-2013, 04:34 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Amnesia: The Dark Descent or Penumbra: The Black Plague? - by Damascus Rose - 10-21-2013, 04:34 AM