Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

5 Core Elements of Interactive Storytelling
slo64 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: 5 Core Elements of Interactive Storytelling

I personally feel that storytelling in gaming is a little bit overrated. In modern games when there's some (invisible) guy with three paragraphs of text ready around each corner I just freak out.
I want to scream all of a sudden: "What the hell is going on? Get out! Get out of here, leave me be! This is my game, and I am the one playing it!"
Because is is WEIRD. It's weird when every little bit of something along the way is trying to tell a story.
"Open the door." - "Hello I am the door, and I want to tell you a story..." - "Shuddup door! I don't want to hear any of it! Let me through!"
The thing is: narrative actually breaks "the feeling of being inside the game's world". You stop being inside the game world the moment narrative starts. It's not your story at this moment, you are no longer in control, because hey, the dude has to say his thing. That annoying dude!
I mean: the narrative is good to establish the rules and the goals of the game world, but the whole game being a narrative? Hardly a good thing.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2013, 04:41 PM by slo64.)
10-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: 5 Core Elements of Interactive Storytelling - by slo64 - 10-01-2013, 04:40 PM