Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
gremstein Offline

Threads: 2
RE: What Is Frictional Games Feelings Towards All The Criticism For AMFP??

For me, it was more than just the interaction, although that was a HUGE part of why AMFP disappointed me. The other big thing for me was the lack of any real freedom of where to go or what to do. The only "linear" part of TDD I can recall is the beginning part, and it didn't bother me there because it was a setup level specifically so the player can get used to the controls and get a feel for the atmosphere. Once out of that area, you had a clear objective, but you could almost always choose what way to go about it first. For example, you could choose to check out the archives first, or you could go spelunking in the lab or the wine cellar, it was up to you. And then after the water monster chase, you could choose to screw around in the machine room, go upstairs to the guest room or the study area, or you could go down into storage.

The only time I recall having any real freedom in AMFP was when I arrived at the mixer, and I could choose to to go cold storage or whatever the other one was, and even then that part of the game was so short I barely remembered it. This sort of thing, combined with the environment interaction, is what made TDD so awesome and immersive. It's true being able to pick up and throw a random hammer served no real progressive purpose, but it made me feel more like I was there in this world they had created.
09-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Is Frictional Games Feelings Towards All The Criticism For AMFP?? - by gremstein - 09-13-2013, 01:02 AM