Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
Mastersarge Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Edge Article by Jessica Curry on games diversity

For me there is a lot more wrong with Amnesia A Machine For Pigs. The psychological, atmospheric qualities, and even the music fail to give me the sense of nausea, fear and dread as the first game did. Hell I'd go so far as to say Outlast did a better job in terms of dread and fear because there was always something unexpected waiting right around the corner. Plus the story gets straight to the point and doesn't distract the whole of the genre with poetic nonsense and details such as the lack of interactivity and more focused on the monorail of generic horrors and pretty environment. People tend to ignore this fact mainly because they think that the game is good (even if they didn't look critically at it enough) or they just want to protect anything that is precious to their mind and heart of the series.

A Machine for Pigs failed to deliver on more than just one or two occasions. I even did a torrent finally, and I found that it was nothing at all liked they hyped it up to be. And it took them a whole nother year to put this out on September.

I will say this once, TheChineseRoom does not know how to design games. They use pre-existing engines with lack of coding and diversity in material, relying solely on looks and feels when they forget what really matters in videogames.

Games like Journey makes an excellent example of a videogame sticking to the narrative function but also primarily interactive. And it uses pictures, not words. Which is why my preference for Journey over Dear Esther will not be unscathed.

Hey, how ya doing?
09-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Edge Article by Jessica Curry on games diversity - by Mastersarge - 09-20-2013, 10:58 PM