Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Spoiler Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert*
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert*

(09-13-2013, 08:21 PM)Corbent Wrote: I was reading carefully the whole timeline Kein assembled (Thank you very much). And there's this one note that is very interesting and I feel it holds the answer to who is in the "Iron Lung". I'm not sure how, but I am sure it has to be Mandus himself and no one else.

The note:
Spoiler below!

27th December 1899

I am halved, I am bisected. I placed my feet in the stirrups of childbirth and I hung upside down and the great blade of history cut me in two like a butchered pig and my guts fell onto my children and smothered them in my love. Each half of me still living, but the guts kept falling onto my children. So we each went our separate ways and one half built a machine instead, to hold his hate in and to keep his heart beating. And the other fell into a sleep, to blunt the pain. And then he had terrible dreams and when he awoke, the other had made ovens and killed and skinned and cooked all of those he held dear. And thus, holding onto his guts, he strode forth to find himself and make himself whole again.

This note talks about the separation of Good Mandus and Evil Mandus.

"So we each went our separate ways and one half built a machine instead, to hold his hate in and to keep his heart beating. And the other fell into a sleep, to blunt the pain."

From this I conclude two things: First the man in the iron lung (more like a cryogenic chamber to me) is one of the two "Manduses". Second, the third heart is Mandus' heart as well.

I have two possible theories:
1.- Mandus made the machine to contain his evil side, then he went into cryogenic sleep to numb the pain of his wrongdoings and guilt. In this theory the whole game is a comatose dream (making it so at the end you see yourself in the cryogenic chamber and the ending is just a symbol of rejoining both your good and evil side) and nothing really happened. This would also explain the temple setting in London which doesn't make much sense.

Yep, I mentioned that before as possible explanation:
Quote:Hallucination/mental play - my favorite. Mandus builds a Machine on the bones of his children, he himself becomes part of the Machine, a machine itself, lying in the sarcophagus. His personality splits on two - The Machine and Mandus. Since he is the heart of damned device, each time when these personalities clash they cause havok to actual machine: Mandus wins at some point, "sabotaging' device and shutting it down. The Machine manages to shoo him, but in order to restore device it needs Mandus. So it "wakes" him up, and with trickery get his help in restoring "power" again (I assume the consciousness of his body in the lung can somehow operate machine). Second personality, ie Mandus. realizes it and he fights Machine again. Remember how he talks about making himself "whole again"? In the end I think Mandus wins, he accepts the truth, what he did, he accepts his damnation and thus completely takes over the machine (1st personality), becomes whole again and shuts down The Doom's Device since nothing can prevent him to do so anymore.
Now, what is about what we see in-game, all the locations and actions we do? This is the brain's interpretation of the clash of the personalities that happens in his mind. The notes we find is the memories his 2nd personality uncovers, it is all in his head. Pigs are obstacles, but that does not mean they don't exist in outer world, they do.

(09-13-2013, 11:18 PM)Tobi Wrote: One of the biggest issues with the timeline is the twins. Mandus and his alter ego keep talking of them at certain points as if they're still alive ("I can still save them!") and at other points as if they're already dead. The twins' journals would seem to indicate that they lived up until October 1899 at least. Yet during the summer Mandus would often opine about how his new "Children" made him feel like a father again.

I suppose it is possible that Mandus was just spending all his time in his Machine and never saw his twins for long periods and given his already disturbed mind could have believed they were already dead. Unless he did indeed try to resurrect them with Compound X.

Few pages ago we all agreed that Mandus killed them "on the steps" of a second temple, the one he found under London, not in Mexico. This way it makes a lot of sense.

So far we are being hold by few issues/questions:

1. Who is in the iron lung? Mandus or someone else?
2. Is it real what happens in the game or just mind's play (of the dying)?

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 01:21 AM by Kein.)
09-14-2013, 01:04 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert* - by Kein - 09-14-2013, 01:04 AM
The birth of a new century - by Integria - 09-27-2013, 01:32 AM