Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
My main problem with AMFP: Observer vs. Participator
Quizerno Offline

Threads: 1
RE: My main problem with AMFP: Observer vs. Participator

(12-02-2013, 10:16 PM)Alardem Wrote: He understood it perfectly well.

He thought that putting in game mechanics would interfere with immersion, he thought horror would prevent people from completing the game. Let me reiterate, he thought adding a sense of WORRY in the successor to an acclaimed horror game would interfere with immersion.

(12-02-2013, 10:16 PM)Alardem Wrote: The presence of collectible light resources often got exploited by having players stockpile them (similar to how an FPS player would save big guns for boss fights) and turned exploration of the castle into tinderbox hunts. While making the light source run on limitless batteries was overkill - one could easily justify dimming its beam or limiting the amount of time you could use a lamp by acknowledging the time period -

I fail to see how an "exploit" that some players used is incentive to believe that players are going to ruin the immersion themselves. Since the first game generally encouraged saving resources, it puts one into a mindset. That alone is more immersive than going on without any sort of goal.

(12-02-2013, 10:16 PM)Alardem Wrote: it's preferable to the idea of running around with 50 tinderboxes on your character.

No, it's really not. Removing mechanics instead of fixing them is a bad idea and is a mark of laziness.

(12-02-2013, 10:16 PM)Alardem Wrote: And I doubt the writing was even going for naturalism in the first place.

I never mentioned naturalism, I said "natural." As in something that you'd believe people would write and/or say. It doesn't.

"How this machine now throbs about me, sensing its rebirth is imminent. The final descent beckons me to enter, as Lily once lay on our wedding bed summoned me into manhood."
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2013, 11:27 PM by Quizerno.)
12-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: My main problem with AMFP: Observer vs. Participator - by Quizerno - 12-02-2013, 11:24 PM