Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you work?
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: How do you work?

Why I started modding? Well, we'll have to go several years back.
I've always loved modding. The first tool I started modding with, was in a flash game called Platform Racing 2. A brilliant game, if you ask me.
Then, I saw a trailer of some game called Portal 2 and I got so hyped about the concept that i had to own it! So I bought it, retail, and played through it several times. Still loving it.
I discovered that you could download the program, "Hammer", and create levels, so I did, and I became pretty fascinated by it. This was my first real modding tool, and I wasn't very good at it. But I got the feeling.

Then I went to a boarding school, for 1 year. (It's not an actual boarding school, but there is no english name for it, because it pretty much only exists in Denmark). Some girl said she was playing a scary game on a large screen one evening, and that we should come and watch. It was called Amnesia, or something... So we went up to watch it, and it got so popular watching (We didn't finish it in one evening), that we continued playing it several evenings after, until we completed it.
What's cool to note here is that when I play ATTD today, the levels are completely different than how I remember them from the boarding school. The tension in that classroom was massive!
Well, I then discovered this forum, created a profile, and downloaded the editor tools. I got this brilliant idea, that I should make the whole school into the Amnesia game. So I did... I spent nearly half the year recreating the school in ATTD. Then I had people playing it. There were several bugs and it wasn't pretty good, but I was proud of it.

Afterwards, I couldn't stop...

____________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Do you listen to any music when making a CS, if you do, what kind of music?
Yes. Anything that I enjoy, which is right now: Carbon Based Lifeforms, Skillet and Taylor Swift.
DON'T JUDGE ME!

2. How often does your development stop or pause?
Almost everyday right now. I'm in a time where I'm bored a lot. Nothing really happens and I'm not really getting fresh ideas...
Sometimes I sit there and edit. I close my eyes for a second, and then...
"MEDIC! MEDIC!", "The sniper is a spy", "Need a dispenser here", "There's a spy is sapping my sentry"... AAaaaaannddd, I'm playing TF2.

3. How often do you work on your project? 2h a day? 2h a week?
Well, to be honest, often I come home from school, do my homework, and then I open the editor for a while and just stares at the maps for a couple of minutes... If I happen to have an idea, I try to implement it. If I don't, I'm closing the editor again. So... Right now it'll be 2-4 hours a week.

4. Do you have any unreleased, private CS done or full conversion?
Yes. I have my old Amnesia story, of my boarding school. It's bad, so there's a reason it's not released. Also, I have a lot of unfinished maps lying around... In the trash bin... That I emptied...

5. Which kind of problems appear most often to you?
Boredom and lack of creativity.
Scripting is no problem for me. I find myself rather good at it, though if my creativity stop while I'm level editing, I get completely out of the mood.

6. Have you ever stopped caring at some point or thought about making a non serious or a complete cliche CS?
Yes. I've been thinking about making a cs about the Flying Naked Jesus. A mod where there's a reason he is there.
I also had an idea of a story, with a narrator. An all-knowing narrator.
Picture this: "The player was walking down a long dark corridor. He was unsettled, but neither did he know that a monster was going to pop out of nowhere and start chasing him down..."

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2013, 02:50 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
09-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
How do you work? - by Nice - 09-19-2013, 09:29 AM
RE: How do you work? - by Karba - 09-19-2013, 10:19 AM
RE: How do you work? - by PutraenusAlivius - 09-19-2013, 02:00 PM
RE: How do you work? - by The chaser - 09-19-2013, 02:01 PM
RE: How do you work? - by CarnivorousJelly - 09-19-2013, 02:20 PM
RE: How do you work? - by FlawlessHappiness - 09-19-2013, 02:47 PM
RE: How do you work? - by Nice - 09-19-2013, 03:14 PM
RE: How do you work? - by Daemian - 09-19-2013, 05:44 PM
RE: How do you work? - by DamnNoHtml - 09-19-2013, 06:41 PM