Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.1 Average
Work in progress In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod
Wapez Offline

Threads: 37
RE: In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod

(07-23-2014, 08:40 PM)Carnivorous Jellybean Wrote: Wapez, I'm pretty sure Streetboat understands what you're trying to do. Those matches, which I'm sure you've put quite a bit of time in to creating and perfecting, will be completely useless because the game already has a mechanic for viewing small details (and trust me, they're not unnoticeable unless you have something where those details only show up when a match is being used). That mechanic's called night vision and it already works much better than those matches do.

I doubt many people are actually going to use those matches because they're utterly useless. No, that's not intended to offend, they're really just that bad right now. Their radius is smaller than that of night vision and, to make matters worse, they cause the player to stumble around in pitch black. I'm sure you wouldn't want the time taken to create the matches become a complete waste. Why not at least try doing what Streetboat suggested, take a look at it, if it seems like an abomination, then go back to your version.

There's no harm in taking other people's suggestions or admitting that someone might actually have a good idea. Saying "thanks, we'll consider, BUT you don't understand and I doubt you will until you play the mod" is going to lose quite a few people. Consider it like this: my mapping's total crap (solid white billboards, perfectly square room, no boxlight, no pointlights, just a desk with a lantern on it), so you suggest that perhaps I add some colour to the lighting, tone down the billboards, experiment with pointlights, and detail a little more. If I respond with "k thanks, I'll keep that in mind - but you don't understand the feelings I'm trying to make for this room and the lighting was intentional. Maybe you'll understand when you play my mod" you'd probably be fairly disgruntled, maybe you'd think that I'm completely clueless, that you'll never try giving me feedback again because I'm blind to criticism, or my mod's not going to be anywhere near as good as it could have been if I'd just listen once in a while. Either way, I'd bet you won't feel positive about my mod and you certainly wouldn't play it (unless you're just looking to send a wall of critique at someone).

Okay, let's put it like this:

I know what night vision is. I also know how much light the matches provide - I designed them. Therefore, having someone telling me that they will be useless, when they in fact haven't been useless for neither me or anyone else who played it, is not something I feel very welcoming.

However, I do realize what I'm being told here. There should be more light coming from the match, cause it should give you better vision than it already does, since there's already light from the night vision. (Alternatively reducing night vision).

For me and my testers, the matches do make a difference. Whether it's minimal or huge doesn't really matter, it DOES make a difference. This may be hard to realize by just watching the video, and in that case I apologize for misleading anyone.

So the argument here is really about how big this difference should be. After going through light design in our about 15 levels, we found an estimate that we thought was good in general throughout the mod. As streetboat let me know what he was thinking about this, and even gave me a few suggestions, I told him that we will take this into consideration. And that's very important to note - we will take A LOT of opinions into consideration. As many as we can get a hold of, as soon as we release the demo. So until we actually get all these opinions, I do not want to promise anything to anyone, as I'm unsure of what the majority of the players will think. I did not in any way mean to discard anyone's feedback, and I am sorry if that's what it seemed like.

I also explained the decisions we had been making on the subject up until then. This was not about telling streetboat he was wrong, cause there has never been a right or wrong. I might have misunderstood what kind of result he wanted from the matches, and therefore said stuff that didn't really make sense. I was just trying to explain my own thoughts on the subject though, as frankly this is pretty useful when receiving feedback.

Lastly I promised that he would understand what they are needed for when he plays the mod. Without spoiling anything, I'll just say that they will play a major role, regardless of how they are used just to provide normal light. This wasn't meant to discard anything either, and I do apologize for anything I said that gave this impression.

Onto the actual match-function again, if my explanations haven't been good enough yet, I'll say that both the sanity system and the night vision will have huge changes. This is not something we will implement until after beta, but it will happen.

Also, again, please keep this thread on the subject. Getting help with scripts can be done in specific threads.

Founder & Legally Accountable Publisher of Red Line Games.
Environment & Gameplay Designer and Scripter.
http://moddb.com/mods/in-lucys-eyes
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2014, 08:02 PM by Wapez.)
07-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod - by Wapez - 02-05-2014, 05:46 PM
RE: In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod - by AGP - 06-11-2014, 05:15 AM
RE: In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod - by AGP - 06-13-2014, 08:04 AM
RE: In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod - by AGP - 07-23-2014, 09:13 PM
RE: In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod - by Wapez - 07-26-2014, 08:00 PM