Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.1 Average
Work in progress In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod

Alright everybody settle down now. I am going to have a nice talk on what went wrong in this thread:

It is mostly a spiral of unfortunates, the talk started off talking about constructive criticisms, but now has delved into talking about each other's attitudes. I seriously think that this should stop, and it would be wise for everyone to get back to talking about criticisms.

However I will offer some of my personal input as well. If I am going to be completely frank, Robo's attitude when he started giving Fruken the criticism was completely fine, even if just a slight bit direct. While the more direct format is not something I personally would do so plainly, I found no reason to have such a huge reaction to what he has been posting. For the most part his posts were an attempt to inform you properly in what he thought could use improvement. I have known Robo for an extremely long time, and believe me when I say he is not out to spite you, but is trying to tell you flatout what he thinks of your mod.

Also, your team seems be get rather on edge regarding things which are "complained" about. Quoting several examples below:

(08-16-2014, 12:22 AM)Juras Wrote: Lol. Thing is pal, the texture was higher res when we first made that map but it was a slideshow on a mid-end pc and I don't think people would have wanted that so we decided to reduce it for better optimization. I don't care how much he knows about engine limits, but unless he can prove me that I can upgrade that texture by making an exterior this big himself without it being 5 fps then we won't do it Tongue

(08-16-2014, 12:36 AM)Juras Wrote: And really? What's wrong with her hair? I mean I know what you mean but come on man, are you really complaining about that? I'm not a pro character artist but I did my best with the hair cause it's really hard making it look good, considering the engine and the poly count budget. And every game's characters hair is made out of planes with alpha textures. That's what I did awell with her hair, hell I even added joints to her hair so I could make them move in a creepy way. Jesus, you don't even see her that close to notice that unless you look at her in the model editor. That was really unnecessary man and it makes me thing if I should even share with the community the three new monsters that I made after we're done with this mod..

The best reviews are ones which also accompany positive points, but that doesn't mean that ones which merely point out flaws are not to be valued as well. Regardless of how small something that an be improved may be (Like the hair for instance), they are all things that should be taken into account.

If you believe that some of the suggestions are not suited to what you are setting out to do then you are welcome to voice it. Just know that if the reason you provided for doing so has flaws, then people are allowed to continue pointing out the flaws behind your reasoning.

-----------------------------------------------------

Also, next up I would like to address what seems to be one of the biggest controversies of this mod right now: Optimization.

Several members have noted that they think your texture outdoors is of low resolution, and you have provided the counter-argument that it is for optimization purposes.

Of course I have not worked on this mod, nor played it yet, so my input may be a bit flawed, but here are a few things I have to say regarding this issue:

1. This is the most important, and regards the art of optimization as a whole. It can be roughly summed up in a saying that I like very much:

"Optimization in games is not making everything perfect, it's taking away from what the player can't see, and adding to the places the player will focus on"

I have talked to a few members who have seen this mod first-hand, and they responded to me that you have several trees, and numerous particles showering the sky.

You say you have a vision, and don't wish to compromise too much, but still have to do so for the sake of optimization. I can understand that you are forced to cut some aspects from your map.

So why not do it in more subtle places? I'd assume that there are many things in the map which are very far away or small enough that the player will not notice it being low quality, or even gone. The ground I'd assume is something which is very close to the player's line of view, and something that they will notice very easily. If you take away from something that close they will notice it for sure.

2. Perfect optimization for systems of all ranges is not something which may be suggested to go for. If you cater too much to players who have too low-end machines they you may risk alienating the other majority of mid, and high end machines. Sometimes the needs of the many just are more numerous than the few. Is it really wise to compromise your mod to reach out to a wider audience?

If it concerns you that much, maybe you could release a version which has lower resolution models/textures for anyone who has offered feedback on experiencing lag?

Another thing you could do if it worries you a lot is to hold beta tests for players to try out your mod on various qualities, and see what seems like an appropriate optimization point.

--------------------------------------------

That's pretty much all I have to say for now. If anyone feels like I have done them injustice, or taken them out of context feel free to tell me, and I'd be happy to try and clear the air on my intentions.

Also I will play the mod's demo for myself, and provide a hopefully thorough review to offer insight on what I think about it, and if any of the mentioned criticisms hold true. You can expect me to be completely neutral on the matter, and I will include all of my thoughts, whether positive, or negative in it.

Until then see you all later!

EDIT: Also for now at least, I will leave all the posts in this thread up in case anyone wants to reference something said earlier.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2014, 10:50 AM by Kreekakon.)
08-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod - by Wapez - 02-05-2014, 05:46 PM
RE: In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod - by AGP - 06-11-2014, 05:15 AM
RE: In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod - by AGP - 06-13-2014, 08:04 AM
RE: In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod - by AGP - 07-23-2014, 09:13 PM
RE: In Lucy's Eyes - Full Conversion Mod - by Kreekakon - 08-16-2014, 10:40 AM