Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Let's play / Games industry
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46
RE: Let's play / Games industry

Quote:The games industry is extraordinarily hard to break into...
I suppose it was and still all about new ideas. Nobody really cares who are you and where are from and how experienced you are. As a result there is nothing "extraordinarily hard to break into", it's just damn hard to create something new.

Here's a few of quite different examples:
1. Slender. Here we got very simple new gameplay mechanics for a horror. The more you collect, the more often a monster appears. That was enough to start a bigger project Slender the Arrival. One man, one simple gameplay idea, and here we got a "break into".
2. Half-Life 2 Minerva. Interesting (vertical) approach on level design. Nothing really new in terms of gameplay. But even that kinda new approach to level vertical constructioning was enough to get attention. The guy's got hired (Adam, if I remember his name correctly).
3. Penumbra. Totally new approach on interactions. That's kinda big innovation, rarely big. I suppose everybody here knows the story. Anyway it's all just about new idea.
4. The Dear Esther. It's not even a game. But surely a new approach on storytelling in general... oh well. I suppose everybody knows that story too. No need to dive into details.
5. ...[whatever]

It's all just about new ideas. No matter if this is something simple or big.

Another one thing is stealing. That's also kinda possible thing to do. Clear example with the 10-guys-project Outlast. Stole the Amnesia mechanics and made kinda nice AAA visuals. In general no one really cared about stolen Amnesia mechanics, players got their fun, developers got their start-up attention (and money).
05-12-2014, 07:28 AM
Website Find

Messages In This Thread
Let's play / Games industry - by Froge - 05-12-2014, 05:06 AM
RE: Let's play / Games industry - by Alex Ros - 05-12-2014, 07:28 AM
RE: Let's play / Games industry - by Traggey - 05-12-2014, 11:32 AM
RE: Let's play / Games industry - by eliasfrost - 05-12-2014, 11:38 AM